You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Muffler replacement

(01-19-2013, 08:38 AM)Chester Stone Wrote:  Les, after looking at the pictures you posted on Dec. 22nd, I would bet that the welder here in San Carlos that rebuilt my muffler can rebuild yours. For the cost of a new one, it may be worth a try. I understand you are in Tucson which is 300 miles from me. If you could get the muffler removed, I could meet you 1/2 way and take the muffler to my welder. How long will you be in Tucson?

Chester,
thanks you for your offer!
We are here for another month I think? we had some radiator ises as you might heard from my posts and few other repairs, so everything is in the air as far how long we will be here!
I was thinking if i would do rebuild muffler and say cost will be $800 or close to it, I would go with new set up from Newell , I think they charge around $800 than I would get it done & start with brand new system!

As far as my radiator goes, we put the replacement on hold! i figured I can try something cheaper and if that wont work , we can always go the replacement route.
I put some Bare's pellets ( I think that is the name of the product ) 2 bottles ran engine for hr got the water tem all the way to 175F , looked the radiator and so far no leaks ! I heard storry om Monacos, Country C that worked and last some years after firts aplication!

In two weeks we are going to Catalina RV park ( Oro Valley ) very nice campground right in front of majestic 8000' peaks of Push mountains, anyway, will drive it and check the radiator after for leaks!

Problem with muffler is that in December it looked quite better & I should done work than , but we were in the woods than, no after some 600 miles looks worse and about to fall out one day! so we need to do something soon !
again, thanks you for your offer but I think we should replace it! the main body of the muffler ( flat section ) is dented from last owner hitting smoething , so that part might be hard to bring it back to shape!

Les

Les & Cheryl Korcala

Fulltime on the road hub base in Montana

Newell 2001 2 slide #582
security system 2 Rhodesians Ridgebacks (Basha & M'Kala)
Nissan Exterra 2007
Co-Motion "Robusta" tandem
Trek "madone" road bikes
Trek 5.8 MTb

Les, my muffler is also caved-in from previous owner hitting something. However, I had a new end put on it for about $100 (as I recall), but left the dent which does not affect the muffler's function. Merely shimmed the bracket to secure the muffler. Another thing I did was to change the tail end to direct the exhaust to the street away from my towed car. Most likely, I will have to replace it sometime in the future.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

(01-20-2013, 08:48 AM)Chester Stone Wrote:  Les, my muffler is also caved-in from previous owner hitting something. However, I had a new end put on it for about $100 (as I recall), but left the dent which does not affect the muffler's function. Merely shimmed the bracket to secure the muffler. Another thing I did was to change the tail end to direct the exhaust to the street away from my towed car. Most likely, I will have to replace it sometime in the future.

Chester,
Thanks you we been going back and forth with making right decision on repairing or replacing radiator and charger, We are ordering Radiator and Charger today and will be near Tom's place in Mesa so we will have shop working on it and I will have them try to patch or rebuil muffler while there! we might be heading back to Indio/palm springs area later & wanted to get all fix before heading west.

Les

Les & Cheryl Korcala

Newell 2001 2 slide #582
Nissan Exterra 2007
Trek "madone" road bikes
Trek 5.8 MTb

We happen to be in Mesa, AZ and visited with Tom and his wife ahd great dinner one night.
Also doing some repairs at Leo's bus/truck repair center.
great place and we are dealing with Leo and Jon who are replacing our radiator and charger.
We also finally got them to work on our muffler and Jon was able to do amazing job with badly crack part of the muffler.
He just patched all as you can see from the images.
Replaced two new clamps and out it all back together! Jon did outstanding job and removed practically all by himself!!!

Les & Cheryl Korcala

Newell 2001 2 slide #582
Nissan Exterra 2007
Trek "madone" road bikes
Trek 5.8 MTb

While my muffler is OK, I believe I may be missing an exhaust piece. I have a cutout on the left side, but the pipe doesn't reach it.

See photos below.

What's missing?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller
1996, 45'+, Non-slide, Series 60, ABS, 1.5 Bath, Reverse Floorplan

Rick,

It looks like you are only missing a turn out at the end to dump exhaust out the side. Mine exits straight back with a fanned out tip on it.

Hank & Natalie Bensley
2001 Double Slide #586. 
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk Toad
We've been RV owners since 2002.
Port Orange, FL. Soon we will travel full time for "a while" Smile

Yeah. Best to get the exhaust gasses totally out from under the coach.!

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Can anyone post a photo from underneath to show me what needs to be fabricated?

Thanks!

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller

It would be helpful if you post a pic of the underside of your coach in that area. No two Newell coaches are the same.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Here is what's under there now:

Need to figure out what to fabricate or buy to go from the muffler then out the side cut-out

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller