You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

New Tool Toy

Gurus:

I have a new tool toy.  I needed to know the thickness of a tank wall (  steel ) with no ability to get to the other side of it.

Well, there's a tool for that!  So I  purchased an ultrasonic thickness gauge.  Figured I would test it out and return it if I was not happy.

Well, I am very happy with its performance and price.  $92.50 delivered to my door.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K19...UTF8&psc=1

It is easy to test.   We all have lots of stuff that we can put our vernier calipers on and read to a fraction of a mm.
You just apply a little conducive juice to the sensing head ( it's included ) and look for the icon that shows you have a good marriage of the sensor and your material and read the thickness.  Sides need to be parallel for best results.

If I never use it again, it has paid for itself in peace of mind several times over.
I'll upload a couple pics below.

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

Very neat Russ.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Have used them for many years. Ship owners would have the crew or outside company do a grid pattern on the hull from inside, or outside with divers, and give the results to the USCG. Depending on hull thickness, Coast Guard would waive the annual drydock requirement and save the company many dollars, if hull thickness was over 75% of original.
Also used before drydock to get idea of amount of hull and bulkhead steel that needed replacement.

2003 foretravel designer series. previous 2000 foretravel 34 ft, isc 350, 1995 45 ft Newell coach 385, Foretravel [2], 4106, 4905, wayne bus, wanderlodge fc, gmc motorhome.
toads: 2011 honda fit sport, Yamaha Zuma 125, Suzuki tu250.
daily drivers: boxster and cayenne

i want one and i dont even know why other than i want one.....ha

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I had some rust and flaking from the bottom of my fuel tank. I needed to know how much metal was left. So I needed to compare the sides to the bottom. This tool did the job! Thankfully I am in good shape.

Russ White
#530  ( Sold )

Did you have to empty the tank to test it?
Neat tool either way.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

The tank was not empty and does not need to be. The difference in densities of the steel and fuel is sufficient to reflect a signal at the interface. Remember, even an "empty" tank is filled with air and again, it works on the difference in properties. Quite a tool for the cost!

Russ White
#530  ( Sold )