You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Buying a used Newell

I have been researching buying my first  Pre-owned Motorhome and the brand looks like going to be Newell. with the help of this Forum I have narrowed down the year because of some improvements. Steerable tag started in 2004 with these 3 coach #671-681,685, this is an option looks nice to have. 2004 and newer gives you Valid Slides and Spyder multiplex single wire. The only question I not sure on is in 2004 Newell used Detroit Series 60 engines "500HP", a few C12 and C13 Caterpillar then in used the C15 Caterpillar for the next 4 years. I have driving a few Diesel trucks but not enough to know about the engines. Is the Detroit 60 an ok engine power wise for this Couch or is it better to look for a Newell with the high C15 Cat with 625 HP..
thanks

Welcome. You are correct on the first three Newells with the steerable tag axle (ZF suspension). All Newells beginning with #697 had the ZF suspension with the steerable tag axle. Most 2004's also had the Detroit Series 60 500 HP engine. I show that #723, a 2005 model may have been the first Newell with the ZF suspension AND a CAT engine and it was a 525 HP C-13. Although there may have been some, I don't know of a 600+ horsepower Newell prior to about #750, a 2005. It was about #760, a 2006 when 600+ horsepower engines became typical in Newells.

As to the adequacy of 500 HP in a coach with almost a 60k pound GVWR, I will leave that to owners in the 2004-2006 range to add their input but will add that the Detroit had the Allison transmission and at that time the 600+ horsepower engines were all mated to ZF, either 10 or 12 speed, auto shifting transmissions. In long steep mountain grades more gears and more horsepower is a good thing so it depends on the percentage of driving you are likely to do on long steep mountain grades. In other conditions, the Detroit is certainly adequate. It just won't go up a long steep incline as quickly as a higher horsepower, higher torque engine with more gears.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

(04-17-2017, 10:11 AM)Fulltiming Wrote:  Welcome. You are correct on the first three Newells with the steerable tag axle (ZF suspension). All Newells beginning with #697 had the ZF suspension with the steerable tag axle. Most 2004's also had the Detroit Series 60 500 HP engine. I show that #723, a 2005 model may have been the first Newell with the ZF suspension AND a CAT engine and it was a 525 HP C-13. Although there may have been some, I don't know of a 600+ horsepower Newell prior to about #750, a 2005. It was about #760, a 2006 when 600+ horsepower engines became typical in Newells.

As to the adequacy of 500 HP in a coach with almost a 60k pound GVWR, I will leave that to owners in the 2004-2006 range to add their input but will add that the Detroit had the Allison transmission and at that time the 600+ horsepower engines were all mated to ZF, either 10 or 12 speed, auto shifting transmissions. In long steep mountain grades more gears and more horsepower is a good thing so it depends on the percentage of driving you are likely to do on long steep mountain grades. In other conditions, the Detroit is certainly adequate. It just won't go up a long steep incline as quickly as a higher horsepower, higher torque engine with more gears.

I currently own a 2003 Newell Quad slide with DD and Allison and am considering upgrading to a newer Newell with steerable tag and Cat engine with  the ZF suspension and transmission.  On paper it is a lot of money for steerable tag, new suspension and transmission with a bigger engine, is it really worth the investment.  Are there any issues with the ZF transmission and bigger Cats?

Thanks.

Bob and Pam Stump
2008 Newell P2000i-Coach # 1247
Port Orchard Washington

(04-17-2017, 08:43 AM)Widan Wrote:  I have been researching buying my first  Pre-owned Motorhome and the brand looks like going to be Newell. with the help of this Forum I have narrowed down the year because of some improvements. Steerable tag started in 2004 with these 3 coach #671-681,685, this is an option looks nice to have. 2004 and newer gives you Valid Slides and Spyder multiplex single wire. The only question I not sure on is in 2004 Newell used Detroit Series 60 engines "500HP", a few C12 and C13 Caterpillar then in used the C15 Caterpillar for the next 4 years. I have driving a few Diesel trucks but not enough to know about the engines. Is the Detroit 60 an ok engine power wise for this Couch or is it better to look for a Newell with the high C15 Cat with 625 HP..
thanks

I currently own a 2003 Newell Quad slide with DD and Allison and am considering upgrading to a newer Newell with steerable tag and Cat engine with the ZF suspension and transmission.  On paper it is a lot of money for steerable tag, new suspension and transmission with a bigger engine, is it really worth the investment.  Are there any issues with the ZF transmission and bigger Cats?

Thanks.

Bob and Pam Stump
2008 Newell P2000i-Coach # 1247
Port Orchard Washington

While I haven't owned or driven a Newell with a CAT, I have owned a 2003 3 slide Newell with a Detroit Series 60 and currently own a 4 slide 2013 with a Cummins ISX 650, both with Allison transmissions. The weight of the coaches of course are significantly different, with the 2013 much heavier. I'd have to look up the specs, but I believe they are about 14,000 lbs different. So not an apples to apples comparison for engine performance.

My experience is the difference between the two is more noticeable on acceleration on flatter surface and less noticeable going up a steep incline or when you are at cruising speeds. Both are not winning any speed contests in the Rockies up long steep grades.

The series 60 has a long track record, and if they were available for RVs today I'm sure Newell would still offer it as an option.

I've been happy with both. Hope that helps.

Jason 
-----------------------------
Previous owner of 2013 #1472
Previous 2003 #665 triple slide
1 wife
2 kids
Lots of stuff

thanks for everyone's info, now just waiting for the right one to come up for sale. One other question is on bathrooms, with just a rear bathroom on a with the slides in driving mode "retracted" can you access the Bathroom without climbing over the bed?? most coach pictures are always with the slides open.. is that a good reason to have a mid coach 1/2 bath? sorry again for the question, I want to buy my last coach first.
Thanks

Bob - Regarding ZF transmission -- both my coaches are Allison transmissions so I can't comment on the ZF transmission. Regarding the suspension.... The ride in my 2003 was the best I ever experienced until I drove the 2013 that I own now (I didn't test drive any other newer Newells as I needed a coach w/bunks). For me, what I notice the most is less body lean during turns and it drives better in cross wind. Both coaches drive great though. I love the steering tag now that I'm used to it.

Whether it's worth buying a newer model ONLY for these features - that's a personal preference thing unique to each.

Jason 
1 wife
2 kids
Lots of stuff

Whether you can get to the back bathroom easily depends on the layout of the bedroom, if it's murphy bed, and whether the mattress has a lift on it. My mattress has a head lift that pulls the mattress up/shortens it by a foot or so. There is enough room to scoot past the end of the bed with the slides pulled in but it's pretty tight.

Personally, if given the choice I much prefer a bath and a half. The reasons are many for us.

Jason 
1 wife
2 kids
Lots of stuff