You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

tag tire separation

1500 bucks worth of tires

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Ouch! Let me know if you won't get to Big Spring on Friday, we could delay our trip or meet somewhere else.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

quick update.  

we went to the TCI Tire in Denham springs, LA and they were great.  i went there because i lost 70 pounds of tire pressure in the rt front from tuesday morning to wed morning.  they couldnt find anything obvious but when we were both examining the tire, i noticed the outer row of tread nearest the outside side wall was totally separating from the tire core.  the picture doesnt do it justice.  given the problems everyone has been having with tires shredding and ripping up the coach, i decided they were unsafe.  now the problem we all talk about of finding the 365 michelins.  tci found some outside of mobile alabama at their warehouse.  in fact, they had 13 of them.  to wait for an inter site transfer it would take 2 days.  so, darlene went and rented a F150 from enterprise, and off we went on a 3 state drive to get the tires.  we picked them up, and raced back.  430 mile round trip and we got back to the tire shop at a few minutes to 5 which was closing time.  they kindly took care of us and by 615pm we were off to the walmart parking lot to hook the car up in the pouring rain and head off.  we drove 120 miles and stopped at 830pm for the nite.  at an rv park that said they do big rigs all the time.  well the show we put on getting into our spot was epic with quite an audience.  thats another story.  

by the way, the tires i got were date coded week 40 of 2016.  they picked the newest ones for me.  they said they got this batch in december of 2016.  they dont get them very often.  ron skeen told me the ones he got were the same date and that he was told that was the last batch that michelin made.  

i did feel a noticeable improvement in handling so i am sure we were blessed again to avoid disaster.  

thanks for those that reached out to help today

we will be in austin thursday afternoon.

forest, we will still meet you as planned

tom

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(05-31-2017, 08:26 PM)encantotom Wrote:  quick update.  

we went to the TCI Tire in Denham springs, LA and they were great.  i went there because i lost 70 pounds of tire pressure in the rt front from tuesday morning to wed morning.  they couldnt find anything obvious but when we were both examining the tire, i noticed the outer row of tread nearest the outside side wall was totally separating from the tire core.  the picture doesnt do it justice.  given the problems everyone has been having with tires shredding and ripping up the coach, i decided they were unsafe.  now the problem we all talk about of finding the 365 michelins.  tci found some outside of mobile alabama at their warehouse.  in fact, they had 13 of them.  to wait for an inter site transfer it would take 2 days.  so, darlene went and rented a F150 from enterprise, and off we went on a 3 state drive to get the tires.  we picked them up, and raced back.  430 mile round trip and we got back to the tire shop at a few minutes to 5 which was closing time.  they kindly took care of us and by 615pm we were off to the walmart parking lot to hook the car up in the pouring rain and head off.  we drove 120 miles and stopped at 830pm for the nite.  at an rv park that said they do big rigs all the time.  well the show we put on getting into our spot was epic with quite an audience.  thats another story.  

by the way, the tires i got were date coded week 40 of 2016.  they picked the newest ones for me.  they said they got this batch in december of 2016.  they dont get them very often.  ron skeen told me the ones he got were the same date and that he was told that was the last batch that michelin made.  

i did feel a noticeable improvement in handling so i am sure we were blessed again to avoid disaster.  

thanks for those that reached out to help today

we will be in austin thursday afternoon.

forest, we will still meet you as planned

tom

tom how old were the tires you had problems with?

1995 # 390

they were put on 5 years ago. this was going to be their last trip. the date code was nearly a year older. of the five years there was less than 25k on them. and was kept inside for about 1/3 of that once i got my shop done.

i understand surface cracking (and there was some on the sidewalls), but not tread coming off.

i will get a new set of the remaining 5 tires i have not replaced on this trip when i get home. at my leisure and not at someone elses timing....ha

tom

hey....we drove 340 miles today and didnt have to buy any tires.

in la hacienda resort in austin, just fixin to go to michael and georgia days. and our son scott flies in to nite to join us

life is good

tom

i spoke too soon. this morning doing my preflight check, the inside drive tire on passenger side was 100% flat and the bead was not seated.

i have never had a single tire problem and now all of this?

i replaced a drivers side tag in foley, 2 front tires in baton rouge. now i told the tire place to bring me 4 tires and change all the back ones this morning. (i had a tire get cut 2 years ago and i replaced it then) so all the tires will either be new or one is 2 years old.

this is crazy.

we were going to pull out of austin this morning by 9 with the day's, but it will be closer to noon now.

forest, still should be there by dinner time

tom

Ouch! we'll keep the light on for you. Good luck!

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Good grief!!

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

All I can say is "wow!" So sorry you are having such issues, but what a reminder to stay ever vigilant when it comes to tires.

David and MaryLynn Kammeraad
1996 Newell #427
2014 Buick Lacrosse