You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

tag tire separation

having 4 new tires put on now here in the rv park. the one that was flat we couldnt find anything wrong with it. he put a new valve stem and he didnt have a new 4" extension, but checked the old one and said it was fine.

who knows at this point.

hope to be on the road in the next hour

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

back on the road again.  made it to big springs texas.  no tire problems, but will check again in the morning....ha

i have replaced 7 or the 8 tires on this trip in 3 different places.   i didnt replace one of them because it was only 2 years old and on the drive axle.  

we traveled with michael and georgia day today and met up with forest and cindy here.  went out to dinner and had a great evening together.  plus scott our son is with us too.  darlene rode with the days and played games with georgia on the drive today.  

and here is a picture that is not of a tire.....having fun in the newell with great friends and family

btw, the tire guy couldnt find anything wrong with the tire that was flat.   and a guy with a kenworth toterhome came by and snatched up the 4 take off tires to put on a semi trailer.  he was excited to get them.  

tom

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Does use of coach effect tire longevity.. not necessarily miles but just using them having them rotate so to speak.. I'm a tire idiot so I am just asking.. I use my coach and travel somewhere every week so it never sits for an extended period..

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

Marc, I've heard that rolling the tires frequently keeps the rubber compound "fluid". IOW it keeps the different chemical compounds and additives moving throughout the rubber which supposedly helps the longevity. Plus it keeps flat spots from happening. So you should keep on rollin' and just dodge those lightning bolts!

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

a few observations from my tire fun of the last few weeks.

1. my tires were 5 years old. i was going to get one last trip out of them. probably about 20k miles on them.

2. i was NOT running tire monitors. i had some but they never worked right. it would not have caught my tag tire separation unless it caused the temp to go up and i have no idea if it would have.

3. i ordered new tire monitors

4. my front tire that went from 110 to 40 in one days driving plus overnite was almost 6 years old, but was nearly a year old when i got it due to 365's being hard to find it would have been caught by tire pressure monitors

5. my rear inner drive tire was full when i left and totally airless and bead broken when i checked it the next day. it would also been caught by the tire monitor

so....tire pressure monitors would have caught 2 of my 3 failures, but not sure of the 3rd.

key learning for me is three fold first is to ALWAYS check all your tires each morning. i could have had major damage if i had not caught them. second is i believe we should run tire pressure monitors. third is the worth of coach-net. they paid for the service call twice on my tires. wayyy more than the cost of the annual membership. they were kind, concerned followed up to make sure i was ok.

my two cents worth

tom

Great knowledgeSmile who is your tire service contract with also tow insurance? My coach 707 is currently at Newell having my punch list take care of. Tire monitoring is one of the things on my list. Possibly Tire pressure pro, Thanks Robert

Robert Austin 2004 model 460 #707 46’ 10”