You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Air ride and leveling issues

the problem is your tag axle has a weight rating of 12k lb and your drive of 25k. so you wouldnt want to put more than that on it fir very long

as for isolation, yes that would isolate the tag from the drive airbags.

mabye i missed it, but was the airleak sound coming from the airbag itself? there is no air coming from the six pack in the passenger engine compartment?

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

(06-11-2017, 12:44 PM)HoosierDaddy Wrote:  Keep your Guru card, Mike. Your experience (and your willingness to share) are very helpful to each of your fellow Gurus. I decided I would NEVER get under my coach but I have on occasion as I have gotten more acclimated to it.

It is nice to know I am not the only one not wanting to go under the coach. After being under there 5-6 times now for short periods, I am a bit more comfortable looking around but the thought of messing with air lines is out of the question for now! When the professional figures out what the problem is, I will probably go under to learn, and once I understand what does what, I might feel more comfortable, but then again, these may always be credit card situations :-)

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model

(06-11-2017, 04:21 PM)encantotom Wrote:  the problem is your tag axle has a weight rating of 12k lb and your drive of 25k.   so you wouldnt want to put more than that on it fir very long

as for isolation, yes that would isolate the tag from the drive airbags.  

mabye i missed it, but was the airleak sound coming from the airbag itself?   there is no air coming from the six pack in the passenger engine compartment?

tom

Good question Tom about air coming from the 6 pack in the passenger engine compartment. I will add that to the test list.

Now that I think about it, while between the wheels on the drivers side looking for the problem, I had a feeling the air was coming from the passenger side but that did not make sense at the time as the passenger side was high and the drivers side was low. To be honest, I was too intimated to crawl over to the passenger side because I knew that side could come down some more, but your question has me wondering now...

Mike & Jeannie Ginn

if the LOWER solenoid has junk under the plunger, even though it is closed and should not be releasing air from the bag, it can still release air if something is holding the plunger partially open.

i had the opposite happen to me. i was at a truck stop and my coach raised all the way up on the passenger rear and the ride height valve was trying to let the air out, but the compressor was adding air faster than the ride height valve was releasing it trying to get to travel height. the seal on the plunger for the RAISE solenoid for the passenger side had blown and even though it was closed and should not have allowed air in, it was letting air in and causing the bags to fill to the max as the ride height valve was trying to release it.

i carry spares (and have rebuild kits for them) so an easy fix. that has happened to me twice.

not saying that is what it is, but it is a possibility. you can tell if there is air being released at the six pack manifold on the back. if so, and you are not in level mode trying to lower the coach with the panel up front, then the solenoid is leaking air by.

just something else to think about.

the raise and lower solenoids will do the drive and tag bags together unless you have them isolated with the tag switch up front like has been discussed.

tom

I ran another test, while the engine was running there was air blowing all around the 6-pack in the passenger engine compartment. I could not figure out where it was coming from. I was wondering if this was normal air flow from the front of the engine. I sprayed soapy water on connections but nothing apparent. When I shut the engine off I could hear the leak well from the passenger engine compartment but it still seemed like it was coming from underneath. When listening between the wheels on both sides, it sounded more prevalent from the passenger side.

I also, tested lifting the tag by pushing the tag switch to the up position with the audible alarm sounding. If it did lift the driver rear anymore than without it, it was not readily noticeable. Is there a schematic of the air lines back there? Tomorrow I will make some calls, I got the name of a guy that used to work at freightliner, so maybe he is a good start.

Again thanks for everyone's help and ideas!
I am certainly Thankful this has happened in a park and not on the road??
Mike

Mike & Jeannie Ginn

the air when released from the six pack comes from holes in the back of the manifold. you could hold your finger over them and feel it if it is coming out of there.

one thing about massive air leaks (like it would be if it was coming out of the six pack or a huge hole in a line) is that it just blows the soapy water off and you might not see bubbles. that is my experience anyway.

tom

The verdict is in... and it is a bad air bag. Going to replace both on that side. Where is best place to order?
Thanks
Mike

Mike & Jeannie Ginn

(06-12-2017, 10:59 AM)Michigan Truck SpringLand Yacht Wrote:  The verdict is in... and it is a bad air bag. Going to replace both on that side. Where is best place to order?
Thanks
Mike

Michigan Truck Spring.You will need part Number located on top of the bag.

1995 # 390

It's perhaps just me but if I were doing the job myself I would replace them all at the same time. I found that after the first one the next ones were much quicker. You can learn a lot just by changing one. If you are like me you will quickly forget what was just learned, if there is much of a delay to changing the next one(s) I will be starting over. The bags aren't terribly expensive and my time is valuable. Also, the less often I have to crawl under that beast the better.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

(06-12-2017, 11:46 AM)77newell Wrote:  It's perhaps just me but if I were doing the job myself I would replace them all at the same time. I found that after the first one the next ones were much quicker. You can learn a lot just by changing one. If you are like me you will quickly forget what was just learned, if there is much of a delay to changing the next one(s) I will be starting over. The bags aren't terribly expensive and my time is valuable. Also, the less often I have to crawl under that beast the better.

Agreed.plus if you do all of them you will learn a lot more about the air system.There is a strong possibility you will bleed at some point during installation.

1995 # 390