You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

C-15 coolant disppearing

Thanks for the update

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

We got Boomer out of hock today. 4.2 AMUs.  The reason is labor.  The P2000i body surrounds the radiator which necessitates removal of the rear bumper, fan, hydraulic pump at the left lower corner of the engine, the coolant reservoir above the fan, and the radiator shroud.  At this point the radiator can be moved inboard just enough to slide it out the rear onto a forklift.  I took the good advice given, note new clamps and hoses on the radiator and turbos!  Thank you all.

Sandy and Bob McBratney
Previous owners of 2007 Newell #1202  "Boomer" 

(05-26-2021, 04:33 PM)Winegrower Wrote:  We got Boomer out of hock today. 4.2 AMUs.  The reason is labor.  The P2000i body surrounds the radiator which necessitates removal of the rear bumper, fan, hydraulic pump at the left lower corner of the engine, the coolant reservoir above the fan, and the radiator shroud.  At this point the radiator can be moved inboard just enough to slide it out the rear onto a forklift.  I took the good advice given, note new clamps and hoses on the radiator and turbos!  Thank you all.
I'm having my CAC replaced on Tuesday by a Cat service center. The above info is helpful, and I have an intermittent sensor to replace behind the engine. How is the radiator held in? Is it just those two bolts/brackets at the top and something similar at the bottom? The fan shroud looks like it's attached to the radiator frame, are there screws hidden behind the goop?

All info is appreciated so that I don't have to hand over unnecessary AMU's  Smile

Mick & Renee
2009 Newell 45’ 8” #1277, C15 625HP 12-speed ZF
Full time working and traveling. 

Mick,
If your radiator is coming out I’d sure get the sensor replaced while it’s out. As I recall there is access to the front of the engine thru the bathroom floor but wait until you hear from someone who is more knowledgeable to avoid those AMU debits.
Good luck…..

Sandy and Bob McBratney
Previous owners of 2007 Newell #1202  "Boomer" 

I don't mean to pile on, but please, PLEASE have someone thoroughly inspect your exhaust manifold and turbos while the rad is out. I had my CAC repaired while at Newell for other service and they thankfully took it upon themselves to do this inspection and found 3 of 4 turbo studs broken (they are smallish, tapped in (as opposed to pass through) studs. Because they terminate in the turbo flange, they may not back out and require replacement of the center section of the exhaust manifold (given the cost of the new center manifold section from CAT, you might want to consider getting a PDI manifold kit to replace the CAT stock manifold (I didn't but wish I had)).

Please also note that your rad will likely burp for the next several heat cycles so carry 2-3 gallons of appropriate coolant (pink) and don't freak out when you go to start a cooled engine and get a warning light (I freaked and bought a case of CAT brand fluid - anybody need some??).

I didn't answer your question - on ours (2008), the rad, CAC, and I believe the transmission cooler are all stacked inside a rack. The entire rack slides out the back once the bumper and coolant reservoir are removed and the fan motor is tied back out of the way, so all come out at once (and make a nice mess!). Absolutly agree that you want new hoses and new, double clamps everywhere.

2008 C-15/ZF12
Towing Jeep Gladiator (BluOx/AirForce)

Thanks for the good info on what needs to be removed and checked, all noted in what I hope is a set of instructions that will save me some money. I can see all the bolts for the radiator stack, so it comes out as one. What holds it in place? Is it just the 2 bolts at the top of the radiator that I can see, and presumably 2 at the bottom of the radiator?

Mick & Renee
2009 Newell 45’ 8” #1277, C15 625HP 12-speed ZF
Full time working and traveling.