You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Torque wrench

Due to blowouts and wanting to change my own brakes. I am now in possession of my own torque wrench of 600lb feet.. holy cow. Is it heavy

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

yea, i carry one too.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Marc,

Just want to reiterate it takes two people to properly use that wrench. One person on the grunt end of course, and the second person holds the wrenchhead at the nut. You won't get the proper torque without the second person AND you can get hurt using that much force if the socket slips off the nut

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

May need a cheater pipe.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

I find it easy to properly torque the wheel nuts by myself - if I use the right accessory tool.

I made this out of 3/4" plywood. Just choose the slot that is closest to the nut you are working to support the extension close to the torque wrench. Works extremely well.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1987 classic #159
8V92 MUI , Allison 740

I probably don't know what I'm talking about but mine twist and gets shorter or longer depending on the torque setting .the longer you make it the less torque you get. So wouldn't the cheater pipe defeat the torque setting?

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

My automotive torque wrench clicks when it reaches the desired torque. A cheater bar would just require less force at the extended handle length to reach the desired torque setting. ie. If you set it for 100 ft/# it would require 50# of force at the end of the 2 foot handle. If you extend the handle to 4 foot it would then require 25#...................I think.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

All of the paperwork & instructions I have ever seen concerning torque wrenches clearly state DO NOT USE CHEATER BARS.

The torque wrench is calibrated to have force applied at the handle only. Any additional forces will yield false readings.

My 600 ft-lb torque wrench is long enough that I can lean on it to get the desired 450 ft-lbs for my wheels.

1987 classic #159
8V92 MUI , Allison 740

(08-16-2017, 06:18 PM)kyleb Wrote:  I find it easy to properly torque the wheel nuts by myself - if I use the right accessory tool.

I made this out of 3/4" plywood. Just choose the slot that is closest to the nut you are working to support the extension close to the torque wrench. Works extremely well.

That is a great tool!  Probably a lot more steady than trying to hold extension in place by hand.  You need to apply for patent & sell this to large truck tire shops everywhere.  Don't forget us when you are rolling in cash! Let us know when you hit "Shark Tank" with it!