You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

rotor change on drive axle 2002

this is a rotor change on my 2002 newell with ridewell axle 2460003

the rotor on the passenger side is the one that the picture is and shows a crack that goes from side to side.  surface cracks are ok, but not ones that go all the way across.  

changing these is not for the faint hearted and requires tools that i didnt have.  my great bus mechanic leo at all aboard america in mesa did the work with me as grunt.  

process is.  

1.  take wheels off
2.  take brake can off
3.  take brake pads out
4.  take rotor off (heavy)
5.  take axle cover off (diff fluid come out)
6.  take axle out
7.  bend back prongs on bearing locking nut ring
8.  take off bearing lock nut
9.  take off bearing nut
10.  take out outer bearing
11.  tilt hub to get rest of diff fluid out
12.  carefully pull hub/rotor assembly off.  must weigh close to 100 lbs?

13.  there are 10 big alan cap head bolts holding the rotor onto the hub.  leo had to use a torch on each one and then a 1" air impact gun (same one used to take lug nuts off) to get them off, to separate the rotor from the hub.  

14.  then pry hub bearing seal out and remove rear hub bearing.
15.  clean bearings and hub to check for wear
16.  attach new rotor to hub with new cap head screw and use antiseize on them
17.  flip over and put rear hub bearing in with new seal (using seal seating tool)
18.  squirt some diff oil on the bearing in rear
19.  carefully lift rotor/hub onto postion
20.  install front bearing after squirting some diff oil on it
21.  install nut     the nut is probably 4" or so and he had a special socket for it.  he used a torque wrench and torqued it to 150 ft lbs while spinning it and did that 4 times.  then he backed the nut off and torqued it to 100 ft lbs spining the hub and did that 4 or 5 times.  then backed the nut off again and did final torque to 50 ft lbs 4 or 5 times while spinning the rotor.  all of that was to seat the bearings.  
22.  reinstall locking rings and then lock nut
23.  put new gasket where axle cover bolts to hub.  clean off old gasket on axle
24.  put axle in and put bolts on to hold it in
25.  take off little plug on axle cover to squirt 1 quart of diff oil in hub

26.  put rotor back on
27.  put brake can back on
28,  put in new brake pads
29.  adjust rotor

final thing was to check diff oil.  because he put 1 quart in each hub, oil was still full at differential.  

dont count on my memory for exact instructions, but it is in the ball park

tom

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

How did you determine the rotor was cracked? Pulsations when braking? Noise?
Luckily you found it when you did!

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

much simpler than that. when i had to replace all my tires on this last trip i inspected the rotors when the tires were off.

tom

no indications other than visual.

tom

(09-15-2017, 11:58 AM)encantotom Wrote:  no indications other than visual.  

tom

Tom, I had the exact same issue as you, and am currently replacing the rotor, pads & caliper seals. Do you remember what type of diff oil was used to top off your differential?

2002 45'8" Triple Slide #639

Mike,

I just changed mine out, and I used Mobil 80/140 Full Synthetic. https://www.amazon.com/MOBIL-DELVAC-SYNT...oil+80+140

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(04-27-2018, 11:46 AM)Richard Wrote:  Mike,

I just changed mine out, and I used Mobil 80/140 Full Synthetic.  https://www.amazon.com/MOBIL-DELVAC-SYNT...oil+80+140

Thanks Richard.....Newell finally got back with me and said 90 weight synthetic...I used 80-90 synthetic

2002 45'8" Triple Slide #639

(04-27-2018, 10:20 AM)Mike Meer Wrote:  
(09-15-2017, 11:58 AM)encantotom Wrote:  no indications other than visual.  

tom

Tom, I had the exact same issue as you, and am currently replacing the rotor, pads & caliper seals. Do you remember what type of diff oil was used to top off your differential?

I are used Amsoil severe gear 75W 140 it's way better quality but little bit more money https://www.amsoil.com/p/severe-gear-75w...vo/1775072

(09-15-2017, 08:40 AM)encantotom Wrote:  this is a rotor change on my 2002 newell with ridewell axle 2460003

the rotor on the passenger side is the one that the picture is and shows a crack that goes from side to side.  surface cracks are ok, but not ones that go all the way across.  

changing these is not for the faint hearted and requires tools that i didnt have.  my great bus mechanic leo at all aboard america in mesa did the work with me as grunt.  

process is.  

1.  take wheels off
2.  take brake can off
3.  take brake pads out
4.  take rotor off (heavy)
5.  take axle cover off (diff fluid come out)
6.  take axle out
7.  bend back prongs on bearing locking nut ring
8.  take off bearing lock nut
9.  take off bearing nut
10.  take out outer bearing
11.  tilt hub to get rest of diff fluid out
12.  carefully pull hub/rotor assembly off.  must weigh close to 100 lbs?

13.  there are 10 big alan cap head bolts holding the rotor onto the hub.  leo had to use a torch on each one and then a 1" air impact gun (same one used to take lug nuts off) to get them off, to separate the rotor from the hub.  

14.  then pry hub bearing seal out and remove rear hub bearing.
15.  clean bearings and hub to check for wear
16.  attach new rotor to hub with new cap head screw and use antiseize on them
17.  flip over and put rear hub bearing in with new seal (using seal seating tool)
18.  squirt some diff oil on the bearing in rear
19.  carefully lift rotor/hub onto postion
20.  install front bearing after squirting some diff oil on it
21.  install nut     the nut is probably 4" or so and he had a special socket for it.  he used a torque wrench and torqued it to 150 ft lbs while spinning it and did that 4 times.  then he backed the nut off and torqued it to 100 ft lbs spining the hub and did that 4 or 5 times.  then backed the nut off again and did final torque to 50 ft lbs 4 or 5 times while spinning the rotor.  all of that was to seat the bearings.  
22.  reinstall locking rings and then lock nut
23.  put new gasket where axle cover bolts to hub.  clean off old gasket on axle
24.  put axle in and put bolts on to hold it in
25.  take off little plug on axle cover to squirt 1 quart of diff oil in hub

26.  put rotor back on
27.  put brake can back on
28,  put in new brake pads
29.  adjust rotor

final thing was to check diff oil.  because he put 1 quart in each hub, oil was still full at differential.  

dont count on my memory for exact instructions, but it is in the ball park

tom

Hi Tom I have the same coach year. I need to change bearings on the front wheel and  tag axle any chance you know part number for the bearings ?

AMSOIL dealer zo#1775072  215-834-8720   synoildirect.com  coch#631