You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Direct Drive Blower for generator

It has been working flawlessly! 
Huge improvement over belt drive. 
I just keep the fan speed on low, Gen coolant temp is consistent. 
It’s been a while since I did the mod, if I can help just let me know.

Kristi & Jeff King
Bentonville, Arkansas
#744 2005 45’ Newell Coach 
ZF Suspension/Active Steering Tag Axle
CAT-13 ACERT KCB Engine 525HP 1642 ftlbs Torque Cat Compound Turbocharger 43.5 psi
Allison HD4000MH Transmission with PTO drive.

Thanks for the tips Jeff!  I couldn’t get hushmat so used something similar to Dynamat and it looks pretty cool too.  I put it on the floor since it was just painted metal (cleaned off the old silver paint).  Then applied it to the blower/motor.  Looks pretty cool I think… Now I just have to figure out this wiring!  Reading the manual and Richards posts from earlier - then I have to run tomorrow to get some good electrical tape and ground wire.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

Looks great!!
You’ll get the wiring figured out. Let us know if you have questions.

Kristi & Jeff King
Bentonville, Arkansas
CAT-13 ACERT KCB Engine 525HP 1642 ftlbs Torque Cat Compound Turbocharger 43.5 psi

Ok I’m working on wiring today and think I figured it out thanks to a previous post from Richard
White - neutral to purple on blower
Black - to black/red/blue on blower
Green - to fan motor ground

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

Done! It works great on low - I like the the idea of a 3-position switch and may add that soon for really hot weather.

Karen & Adrian Abshire 

I’ve run mine in 95* weather on low. Coolant temp was fine.

Kristi & Jeff King
Bentonville, Arkansas

This is a heads up for those who have installed the direct drive blower. I was poking about in that bay working on one of the aux air compressors when I saw the top of the start cap for the blower.

The picture is of the rubber cover on the start cap. It looks to me like the crimp connections on the terminals developed high resistance causing the heat. The capacitor stills tests good. The wire going to one crimp terminal was melted about an inch starting at the crimp.

Anyway, it’s something to take a look at. I went ahead and put new connectors on the wires, and I used the heat shrink kind because I think they grip the wire better and take some of the strain off the crimp.

I don’t know that there is a generic problem, but if it happened on mine, it’s worth taking a glance at. You will have to slide the cover off to look at the cap.

CAUTION ! The cap could be charged, so short out the terminals so you don’t wet your socks.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Just to let all know - we finished up our round-about trip to TX driving down to Corpus and then back to Beaumont and then home to Alabama. The trip from Beaumont to AL was perfect and this new generator blower motor performed perfectly in over 95 degree heat - the dash temp gauge never went over 180F with the front A/C’s on high the whole time!

Karen & Adrian Abshire 

Here is a follow up on replacing the capacitor on the direct drive Grainger blower. It is a 20 mfd 440 Volt RUN capacitor. Easily sourced from McMaster, not so easy to find in an HVAC supply because of the 440V rating.

The literature lists it generically as a start cap. I found out start caps and run caps are not the same. Start caps will not stand up to continuous use. I have a toasted one to prove the point.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

This post couldn’t be more timely as I ordered a new blower motor and angled mount to replace my squeaking motor. Now I’ll just do this mod to keep that area more compact and reliable. My old motor was repaired multiple times based on the receipts I found. The motor frame flexes and when tightened to keep the belt secure, deforms the motor frame and misaligns the pulleys. I was going to weld in reinforcements it this upgrade is a much better solution.
Where did you guys source the 3 speed switch? Might be good for Arizona... High for summer and low for winter!

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312