You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Winterizing

Jerry, With 30 amp shore power, the 120 vac element will be energized providing 5000 btu of heat. This will keep the basement and the interior above 33 degrees down into the 20 degree range. How low into the 20s I do not know. Think of heating the whole coach with one space heater from Walmart.

In frigid weather, the 120 vac element will keep the coolant in the AH heater tank above 33 degrees. But 35 degree coolant will not warm the interior above freezing.

So unless you have additional heaters for the interior, and the utility bay, I do not think 30 amp power will keep your coach in the frigid weather I think you will be in.

If fresh water system is not winertized, what ever you do, have slides in, cabinet doors in areas where there are water lines open to let warm air into the cabinet.

The diesel burner will keep the coach warm in frigid conditions.

Watch for power grid failure. You loose 120 vac heating and battery charging if on diesel burner.

Rudy Legett
2003 Foretravel U320 4010
ISM11 450 hp Allison 4000R
Factory Authorized Aqua Hot Repair Center
Southeast Texas Area

Rudy,

With the 30 and 20 amp plugged in, my coach runs the ACs, so not sure why it wouldn't keep it the water heated. I'm getting 50 amps, but it is using two 120 volt plug ins with a splitter cable. I'm still don't understand how heating the coach in the winter works. Does the aquahot system heat the water and this keeps the entire coach warm?

Thanks,
Jerry

Jerry, Plugged into a 30 amp or 20 amp single leg circuit only energizes the 120 vac, 1650 watt, 5000 btu electric element. This element will heat the AH coolant just fine when there is no heat demand. The demand for heat below 50 degrees ambient is more than the 1650 watts can meet for 72 degrees inside. As outside temps go well below freezing, the interior temp in the coach and basement utility areas well drop below freezing too.

Think about heating the coach and basement with one heater from Walmart.

But, with the diesel burner added to the 120 vac, you can live in -30 degree weather. Just be sure to have diesel and house battery power to run the AH heater and fan coils. Inverter charger solves house battery issue as long as grid power is good.

The hot AH coolant is circulated to fan coils throughout the coach and basement to provide hydronic heating.

Hope this helps. Ask more questions till it is clear to you.

The 30 and 20 amp plugs will have to be on two separate legs for you to get 220 vac to energize the 4500 watt 220 electric element. My bet is they are on the same leg leaving only the 120 vac element energized and only 5000 btus of heat available.

Rudy Legett
Southeast Texas Area

Reviving this thread to address my situation. Coaches are stored indoors in a well insulated individual stalls. Owner of storage facility said that it generally does not get below about 40 degrees in the stalls. Coaches stay plugged into 50 amp year around so my thought was to turn on electric Aquahot and add additional small heating elements in any areas recommended by folks here. Thoughts?

Would prefer to not go the pink antifreeze in fresh tank/lines if at all possible.

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO

Brad, all this sounds good to me as long as you know the loss of grid power for more than some hours is a threat.

You might pre-arrange an exhaust hose that can be placed easily from the gen to the outside and turn on the gen in the event of a prolonged gird failure.

Rudy Legett
Southeast Texas Area

Thanks Rudy. Going to rig up a couple wifi temp gauges as well that will be powered by coach. Idea is to keep track of temp AND if they lose power I can get notifications on that as well. Planning to test that side of it this weekend.

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO