You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Pressure in the slide seals

Here are some pics which describe the issue....

This pic shows the top of slide (extended) looking toward front of coach.  The light that you see is the gap between the seal and the top of the slide.  (seal is inflated).

This pic show the "tongue" and the "slot".  The front edge of the tongue is hitting the wall.  Its exceedingly difficult to get a good picture describing the situation.  You can see the damage on the top part of the slot when the tongue was too high.  (Now its too low).

Closeup of the slot.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Bill here are a few notes from when my '98 was doing the same thing:
Tim at Newell suggested to bend the "tongue". Tom and I tried this while in Canada with no luck. I don't think this was the problem and probably best not to try to bend it since it is hardened steel.
Newell raised the bladder to 23psi. Newell replaced the hanger bar screws with larger ones (this helped to tighten the bar) and adjusted the locking pins bracket (not sure what they did or how they did this). After the trip to Newell I still occasionally had a problem with the tongue not hitting the slot. On my coach you could see the middle of the slide lift slightly when the tongue successfully hit the slot just before full extension.
When it did not I'd retract the slide and try again and it would usually work.

Maybe make sure the locking pins bracket is tight? Or move to the desert Smile

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

i vote for the desert

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Bill just curious, you have valid slides? If so, does your number 1 slide have 2 bladders by chance?

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

Yes on valid slides. No on two bladders (at least I think no. There is a weird joint on top that looks like a splice, but only one controller and both sides are inflated.

It looks to me that the bar is is mis-aligned. It is hitting just below the slot. That means two things. First, the top of the slide is not "de-sagged" and the front (inside) of the slide is bowed in. Neither of these situations is ideal.

I am parked on flat ground and only run the rooms while in travel mode. The idea that I have not tried is to change the order of the which rooms I extend first. Currently, I start with the rear drivers side (#2) slide then #3 then #4 and finally the big one #1. When I move in the next couple of days, I will start with #1 and work my way around the coach.

I am not sure why I started with #2 but I have always been careful not to put out two diagonal slides. (#1 and # 3) or (#2 and #4).

The thing that makes this challenging, is that you have to look on top of the slide with a flashlight to see if it is borked up. You cannot see from the outside because the slide is in the way. The only symptom is water pouring into the coach during a rain storm.

Thanks for the interest!
bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

If this were me, I would remove the valence while the slide was in. Then while deploying the slide, stop it about two inches shy of full extension. That would give you a more complete picture of what is going on. Be careful not to trip on the floor which will not be level at that point.

Also while you have the valence off, and the slide in, stretch mason's twine from corner to corner across the top. Then you can measure just how much the sag is in the middle.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )