You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Clogged fuel filter

(11-08-2023, 01:20 PM)[email protected] Wrote:  
(11-08-2023, 01:13 PM)ddc4668 Wrote:  My boss has a 2005 Newell with a Detroit diesel. While driving from Ohio to fla the Motor coach started Blowing a white smoke with a blue tinge. It started losing power on the hills. Took me 50 minutes to go 9 miles. Called a roadside mechanic out He looked at the plastic housing. The filter is located in and it was totally full to the top of fuel. He said the fuel filter was clogged replaced fuel filter, made it to Sarasota, Florida, and fuel filter housing was completely full again. My boss put fuel additive in prior to me, leaving prior to me leaving and I also fueled up at our shop which Leiden puts fuel additive in their fuel to keep it from gelling. Would that have caused the fuel filter to get plugged up.

Is the filter turning black? I would not think any additive would cause this, gelling fuel could but it’s got to be pretty darn cold for fuel to gel up. I would say you most likely have some sort of growth in the tank. I like to run BioBor additive that kills the growth in the tank.

Yes the filters were black.

(11-08-2023, 02:16 PM)ddc4668 Wrote:  
(11-08-2023, 01:20 PM)[email protected] Wrote:  
(11-08-2023, 01:13 PM)ddc4668 Wrote:  My boss has a 2005 Newell with a Detroit diesel. While driving from Ohio to fla the Motor coach started Blowing a white smoke with a blue tinge. It started losing power on the hills. Took me 50 minutes to go 9 miles. Called a roadside mechanic out He looked at the plastic housing. The filter is located in and it was totally full to the top of fuel. He said the fuel filter was clogged replaced fuel filter, made it to Sarasota, Florida, and fuel filter housing was completely full again. My boss put fuel additive in prior to me, leaving prior to me leaving and I also fueled up at our shop which Leiden puts fuel additive in their fuel to keep it from gelling. Would that have caused the fuel filter to get plugged up.

Is the filter turning black? I would not think any additive would cause this, gelling fuel could but it’s got to be pretty darn cold for fuel to gel up. I would say you most likely have some sort of growth in the tank. I like to run BioBor additive that kills the growth in the tank.

Yes the filters were black.

Yup, that’s algae or some biological growth. I recommend adding Biobor to the tank and fill the tank. Drive it to mix it up and then let it sit for a bit. Then drain off the bottom of the tank, you will get some pretty nasty stuff from the bottom, plus any water. Then I would keep some spare filters and keep adding Biobor at each fill up.

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1984 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40
1998 Newell 2000 #490
1986 MCI/TMC 102A3 (sold)

ddc4668,

You're in Florida- find a fuel polisher (or make one yourself) and get the fuel cleaned. Then you should be good to continue without issues, using the biobor as a routine cleaner. The marine world uses polishers routinely, so somebody will have one close by.

06 M450LXi 3 slide

(11-08-2023, 02:44 PM)arcticdude Wrote:  ddc4668,

You're in Florida- find a fuel polisher (or make one yourself) and get the fuel cleaned.  Then you should be good to continue without issues, using the biobor as a routine cleaner.  The marine world uses polishers routinely, so somebody will have one close by.

Well I am back in Ohio now. So I will look into it when we pick it up and bring it back. Thank you so much for your advice.