You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Bennett shift indicator

Hello everyone,  hope Thanksgiving was good for all .
Looking for a source for the indicator bulbs and covers in the Bennett shift panel . 1986 , Allison four speed .
Thanks, Chris

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

(11-25-2017, 03:09 PM)Tf175 Wrote:  Hello everyone,  hope Thanksgiving was good for all .
Looking for a source for the indicator bulbs and covers in the Bennett shift panel . 1986 , Allison four speed .
Thanks, Chris

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

(11-25-2017, 03:14 PM)Tf175 Wrote:  
(11-25-2017, 03:09 PM)Tf175 Wrote:  Hello everyone,  hope Thanksgiving was good for all .
Thanks, Chris

That would be described as a wedge type indicator lamp. If it is under 15 volts, you might try a currently produced lamp, such as a # 73 mini lamp. A 73 mini is a T 1-3/4 wedge lamp. You might want to use the web to compare the base  dimensions.   If all else fails, it would look great with new led lamps and lenses.

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

(11-25-2017, 07:24 PM)Guy Wrote:  
(11-25-2017, 03:14 PM)Tf175 Wrote:  
Thanks, Chris

That would be described as a wedge type indicator lamp. If it is under 15 volts, you might try a currently produced lamp, such as a # 73 mini lamp. A 73 mini is a T 1-3/4 wedge lamp. You might want to use the web to compare the base  dimensions.   If all else fails, it would look great with new led lamps and lenses.
 Appreciate the reply . The bulbs match the dimensions of a grain of wheat bulb , but the leads fit into the plastic base and end up diametrically opposed unlike the offset contacts in a wedge bulb . LED replacements are on the way .
 Thanks , Chris

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

Bennett shifter gear position saga continues . LEDS installed , all illuminate when switch is turned on , then go off until switch is turned off when they all come on momentarily . I had assumed that all old bulbs except the one for drive were burned out as that was the only one working when I drove coach. I checked old bulbs and they are all good except for the one for neutral . Looking at the threads related to Stone Bennett  I'm thinking the problem may be in the shifter unit at the trans . Evidently there are contacts for the gear positions inside the unit ? The system shifts well , just have no indicator lights apart from drive .
Thanks , Chris

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

Two possible issues but you have stated the most likely. The other potential is a short or broken wires in the wiring harness from the transmission to the shifter. The unit at the transmission could just be a transmission linkage adjustment issue, it could be an adjustment issue inside the Stone Bennett unit itself or the Stone Bennett unit could have a bend or broken sliding indicator bar.

Stone Bennett made both air and hydraulic shifters. All the Newells I have seen had the air shifters.

Check your email.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

When you are checking the wiring -- On the Stone Bennett shifter, the rod that moves in & out must have a ground wire attached to it. The contacts in the shifter are grounds for the indicator lights and this rod is part of the ground path.

If the rod is grounded, unplug the shifter at the transmission & check continuity to ground & identify which pin corresponds to different positions of the shifter rod.

1987 classic #159
8V92 MUI , Allison 740

If the "drive" light works I would assume the grounding was sufficient.

Since multiple other lights are not working it's unlikely that wiring is a problem, after all what is the likelihood of multiple wires failing at once. There is a single possible exception to this; if the power supply to the indicator bulbs goes first to the "drive" bulb and then in series to the others, a break just past the "drive" bulb would give you the symptoms you have. If there is a way to check for voltage on the ground wires from the bulbs at the entry to the switch thingy at tell tranny you would then prove whether the open circuits were up or downstream of that point.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

(12-03-2017, 07:40 AM)77newell Wrote:  If the "drive" light works I would assume the grounding was sufficient.

My experience leads me to believe that I can assume the grounding is sufficient for the 'drive' light only. Wink

Electricity ground paths aren't always the intended route. . . . .

1987 classic #159
8V92 MUI , Allison 740

My coach has the newer digital gear indicator so things could be different but on mine, each gear display is activated by completing a separate ground at the transmission. My wiring harness has at least six ground wires, one for R, one for N, one for D, one for 3, one for 2 and one for 1. The wiring harness has a single power wire. To test mine, you apply 12 volt power to the hot wire at the transmission and then ground each of the other wires one at a time to see if the correct gear is illuminated on the dash display.

Again, my system could be completely different.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com