You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Rear slide won't retract

"Unless there's a fuse I can't see on the back side of one of the boards mounted on standoffs. "

Yes, there are fuses you can't see.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

there are lots of fuses under the top board on mine. lots i had to take the top board off to see them.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Thanks guys, I'll pull the other boards off tomorrow and check for fuses. I've heard there's a 2 week reply time from HWH, but I'll give them a call as well.

Out of curiosity, has anyone seen or come across a service manual for the HWH controller? I've been through the entire support section of their website but have not seen anything for this system.

I also found out what the crunching noise was. Looks like the angled bar which raises the center of the slide struck the rounded leather covered trim which goes in the upper corner of the room (covers wires and cables runs). Not sure why that would have been higher than ever before this time.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Paul
Coach #540
2000 Double Slide, Bath and a half, Average sized fan for its age
Fulltiming for a while around CO

Was the coach in travel mode when you pulled the slide in? Slide binding and parts
Hitting sounds like something is mechanically out of kilter. I know from early slide opportunities that the slides do not like it when the coach is twisted.

Might want to look at this https://www.hwhcorp.com/ml17140.pdf

This is a lot of reading, but there are some nuggets in here http://wanderlodgegurus.com/database/Hou...ronics.pdf

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Thanks Richard! I had not seen/found either of those, just the "Leveling Systems Text Book".

Yes, we were in travel mode when we brought the slide in and still in travel mode when we brought it back out (when it crunched).

One thing I learned here from this manual: "A +12 signal will open the room unlock valve. This valve will stay open during the complete retract sequence." I was assuming that voltage to the Unlock solenoid indicated that the system had not progressed past the Unlock step, which is inaccurate. Of course, lack of voltage to the Retract solenoid does seem to indicate that fact.

But one other nugget here: "When the room lock pins are fully retracted, the room unlock limit switch arrangement will send a ground signal to the control box. The manifold pressure switch will send a ground signal to the control box when pump pressure reaches 3000 psi. The sequence will not continue until both signals are received by the control box." I need to look for this pressure switch and see whether it is signalling properly. My guess is that it is being that the room extends without any issues and that has the same requirement in the sequence. But something to look at nonetheless.

Paul
Coach #540

I got a call back from Randy at HWH, who was very helpful and patient. We went through a few things and eventually the slide started working, although we didn't technically change anything. Thought I'd update this with a few things that I learned, which I'll post over in the appropriate forum as well once I have more time.

The Red and Yellow LEDs on the output board for the slide are (from the top, at least the way mine is mounted, from the edge of the box otherwise):

Unlock
Extend
Retract
Lock

They indicate power being sent to the solenoid. I forgot to ask about red vs yellow. I always see the pair both light up.

There is a red LED in the upper left corner of the slide board (closest LED to the ground bus bar). This LED indicates that the pump pressure sensor is being triggered.

There is a 9 pin molex connector that plugs into the board from the inside slide operation panel. You can remove the control panel from inside and plug it directly into the control board and operate it from there. IE operate the slide and see the LEDs at the same time. Also eliminates the wiring path in between.

I suspect that I actually have a loose pin on the molex for the Retract function. My assumption previously was that because the pump runs when we push the switch towards Retract that the control path was good. However Randy indicated that the switch is actually a DPDT -- it sends 12V on one wire for the pump and it sends 12V on one of two other wires for Retract or Extend. I was assuming (I know, I know) that there was a single signal/wire for Retract and a single signal/wire for Extend and that the controller turned on the pump as a result. But that is not the case.

I suspect that my slide started working as a result of me putting my DMM probe into the Retract pin of the molex to test for voltage from the control panel on that pin. I am guessing that I basically crimped the female pin in the connector around the male pin on the board when doing so.

Paul
Coach #540

Paul,

You also might want to look at the backside of the board. I have found two failed solder connections at the connection sites that gave me intermittent HWH problems.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )