You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Coolant leak front of coach

the reason i didnt fix my heater core is that the dash has to come out. it is buried down in and cant be accessed from the top of the dash on my vintage.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I never was able to use the dash heat, as the control cable was bound up. I tugged on it a few weeks ago, and may have started this problem. What is strange is the sight glass level on the rad is still right in the middle. What ever is going on is small. Never could find any valves. I am attaching 2 pictures. I suspect that at some time, perhaps when the engine was rebuilt, the valve were discarded? The picture show one line with a t going into 2 lines and hen the other line is just a straight run. We are having lots of rain  and some fog here today. We are not leaving until tomorrow, when sun is predicted

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

Guy, the valves on my 8V92 are further to the rear of the coach than the photo you show. They are close to the engine mounted fuel filter on mine.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

(12-19-2017, 04:32 PM)Fulltiming Wrote:  Guy, the valves on my 8V92 are further to the rear of the coach than the photo you show. They are close to the engine mounted fuel filter on mine.

Here is a pic of mine;
- one valve is almost hiding behind the frame rail - just to the left of the bottom of the fuel filter.
- the other is just to the right of the exhaust manifold.    

1987 classic #159
8V92 MUI , Allison 740

Kyle, thanks for the photos.  They are much appreciated.
I could have one hiding under the exhaust insulation. The other one in the photo is below where i was looking. In the morning I will take a look and give it a try. Tom had mentioned he had a water manifold on his . As they say, no two Newells are the same.

Guy

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

(12-19-2017, 04:32 PM)Fulltiming Wrote:  Guy, the valves on my 8V92 are further to the rear of the coach than the photo you show. They are close to the engine mounted fuel filter on mine.

Michael, Thank you for your response. Between you and Kyle, it makes things easier for me to understand.  I have two hoses from the side of the block, and tomorrow I will see if there are valves hidden down there. Because this coach has a marine water heater added at a later date, I have a "t" in one of the lines going down the frame.  Even if there are no longer valves, just water ports in the block, I am assuming that there will be no harm in just running a hose from one port in the block to the other port.  Tom has suggested that he had by passed his dash heat this way, as he has agua hot.I can live without scalding hot water out of the marine water heater after a day on the road for  the time being. 

I did discover an under the bed water heater/ furnace during  this search. Under the bed is a 120 volt 10 amp heater that we currently use, and this newly discovered engine hot water heater.

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

Your under bed engine coolant controlled heater does allow you to keep the bedroom warm while traveling without having to run the generator. I have used mine a few times but not often. My 1992, like several of the others have stated, does have four valves by the engine. I believe one pair of valves controls the coolant flow to the marine water heater and the other set controls the flow of coolant to the dash heater as that line has an in-line booster pump on my coach. I have not checked to see which set of valves control the under the bed heater. I do have a switch on the dash that controls the fan for the under the bed coolant controlled heater.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Michael on my '93 (now Jon's coach) I had installed shut off valves on the heater under the bed. Don't remember which system that was served by but you are right that 1 set goes to the marine water heater and the other to the front dash. I would think the under bed heater would be the same as the water heater since the dash A/C control activates the booster pump.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

That would be my guess also Forest, I'm just not sure. I have checked and I don't have any shut offs under the bed. Mine also has the booster pump activated by the dash A/C controls.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

the booster pump is to aid in getting the coolant to the various places on the way up to the front and back. on my 90 there were two booster pumps. one on the drivers side frame rail in the engine compartment and another up front behind the front cap on the passenger side. most others i have seen only have the one at the rear.

my 90 had a hot coolant heater in the bedroom under the bed and another in the water bay. it also sent coolant to the raritan marine hot water heater and the dash.

my 02 only sends hot coolant to the aquahot and the dash.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH