You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

VDO speedometer repair ?

Hi All,

The speedometer in the bus is throwing fits...works fine for a while then the needle starts to jump around, goes to zero for a few seconds then bounces back...
Did anybody with a similar problem have any luck in getting it repaired or replace it with a new one that can be programmed for the miles and works in the 95-200x vintage ?
The part number on is: VDO 1-211-012-073A 12V
Thanks. Appreciate any input.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

MG

We had the same thing happen on our '92. Had Newell replace the sending unit first because it was cheaper than a new speedometer. Didn't fix the issue so they put in a new speedometer. The odometer on the new one is LCD display. They weren't able to add the old miles on to it. Also, they had the light wired in backwards on the first attempt. Speedometer lit up until you turned the lights on. Then it would go dark. But it was really nice feeling driving out of the factory in a Newell with less than 3 miles on the odometer! We just remember to add the old mileage on when getting any repairs or service done.

I purchased a new speedometer through Dick's Speed-O-Tach in Phoenix and they added the miles to make it seamless. I know that many would prefer a new speedometer that reads 0 miles but I preferred not to have a "not actual miles' notation on my title which would have been added at the next Texas State Vehicle Inspection. It was MUCH more expensive (over twice as much) as to buy one with 0 miles. The box shows VDO 437-152, 85mm 85/130 CKPT VSN. The CKPT is the Cockpit line. Mine does have the electronic odometer/trip mileage on it where the original did not.

Please keep in mind that mine is a 1992 Newell also.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Thank you, the 437-152 is a 85 mile speedo, the original is 120 which seems to be the 437-052.

I may need some help from somebody with an electronic speedometer to push the button and hold it until AUTOCAL shows up and tell me what the Pulse number that Newell calibrates these to is. You are not messing anything up on your speedo. Once the number shows up, you can write it down and if you don't touch the buttonit will revert to normal function.

I will contact Dick's Speed-O-Tach to see what he wants for a 052 programmed to correct miles.

I have to figure out the correct connection for the speed sensor to the back of the new speedo. 2 wires are power and ground and the other 2 are the sensor.

Any other info you folks may have, please post it. Thanks a lot !!

MG

Does anybody know what type of sensor do we have on the back of the tranny on this vintage ?
Is it a 3 wire Hall Effect sensor or a 2 wire Inductive Sender ?

MG

When Newell did ours they just ran the coach for a measured 1 mile stretch to do the calibration.

@"Keith Jordan" should be able to help you. I had to replace the mechanical on coach 390 with an electronic. I played around forever to get the VMSPc and the odometer to read exactly the same. The calibration numbers are in a notebook I left with the coach.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

One trick when calibrating the VMSPc speedometer is when making a correction is to use half the value rather than the full value. That prevents you from overshooting your mark and actually is a bit quicker. At least when I did my '93 and '98 it worked that way. BTW the VMSPc was not perfectly linear but very darn close.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

According to the Allison manual for the HT-741 the sensor is connected to the transmission ECU. The ECU uses that input to create "a square wave, non-zero crossing signal which varies from 0 to+5V."

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

(01-22-2018, 05:09 PM)Richard Wrote:  @"Keith Jordan"   should be able to help you. I had to replace the mechanical on coach 390 with an electronic. I played around forever to get the VMSPc and the odometer to read exactly the same. The calibration numbers are in a notebook I left with the coach.

1995 # 390