You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Electric current felt at tankage bay chassis

I just went down the the tankage bay to check something and got a mild electric shock when I placed my hand on the floor.  It seems to be strongest at the tankage bay, but I can even feel it on the side mirror arms.  I turned off the main breaker in the upstairs closet as well as the panel by the inverter and I still feel the shock/current.  

I called Newell and did get a call back pretty quickly.  The call-back was to tell me that the guy I need to talk to will call me shortly.  LOL

Nevertheless, he was clearly a tech just maybe not specialized with the electric side.  I explained the situation and he suggested something with the shore power and sure enough, when I disconnect from shore power there is no shock/current.  I wish I paid closer attention to what he said so I can help fix the issue with the park management.

This park has clear issues with the electric.  The 30 amp hookups can't maintain voltage, even with a step-up transformer.  I'd move in a heartbeat, but it's beautiful here and i have few options nearby.

Has anyone had this issue with current in the lower chassis and can clue me in on what's going on?

David
2004 Newell #695
Series 60
Quad slide front entry

Im  Not a pro on electric wiring but sounds
Like their ground wire is hot
I would advise  not using their power

Georgeb
Coach 385
Toad Mini Cooper 

Whoa, that is dangerous.

Take your DVM and measure voltage between neutral and ground. It should be zero. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-UC-WjkTbc4

If that is OK, then do the same test between neutral and ground on the output of the Hughes autoformer.

Are you using a pre made 30 to 50 adapter or are you using one that someone made?

By the way, this is not a water bay issue, you entire coach is HOT to anyone standing on the ground. This is a very dangerous situation.

Call me 817 223 2056 if you need to.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Do not used their power until it can be verified the hot and neutrals are not reverse or a ground is lost. One of my backyard receptacles had the ground wire touching the line side screw. This is before I put in a 50 amp pedestal for the coach. Needless to say, I was using my "As seen on TV" metal coil garden hose washing out the generator blower compartment. I took a nasty blast. Could hear the 60hz hum through my ears. Thought it was a coach problem until I took out my volt tester and found the issue at my receptacle. I think everyone should test the park receptacles with a tester before taking a chance on frying their coach electronics or worse yet, themselves. When I put the tester to the coach, the whole bus was hot! (energized) Scary stuff.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

I’m with George and Richard on this one. A few years ago, I saw a YouTube video talking about the dangers of park electrical systems. An electrified “skin” on an RV is THE warning sign. The park could have a problem, or a neighbor with a jury rigged electrical system could be the problem. Either way it is just as dangerous. I bought one of those surge suppressors that also check for voltage on ground (the kind that go on the end of the coach shore power cable). That gave me peace of mind.

The video (which I cannot find) also recommended having one of those no touch voltage detectors handy so you can figure out if you are electrified without touching with your fingers.

Bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

darn this is frustrating. I bought this spot for the season for work and I don't have any options close by.

I now know why I never felt it before - I only feel the current when barefooted.

I measure the outlet and I get about 4 volts between neutral and ground at the outlet.

David
2004 Newell #695
Series 60
Quad slide front entry

I suspect the RV park has a loose/bad neutral conductor in their electrical panel.  Have them verify before continuing.

Rob
2016 Newell #1536

Yes, notify campground of SAFETY issue. If they poo poo you, call the city inspector.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I'm on it. Several convesations with them.

Using DVM between the ground (sticking the probe into the dirt) and the coach and I get 9.4 volts.

David
2004 Newell #695
Series 60
Quad slide front entry