You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Putting seatbelts in a jackknife couch and dinette

I have a dinette chair and recliner that is not secured. so far so good

Ernie Ekberg
Bluebird Wanderlodge

when we first were starting to use the 2002 we didnt realize the recliner was not secured to the floor. michael and georgia day were in the coach along with darlene and i and we went for a short test ride after doing some work on it. michael was in the recliner facing forward and i accelerated and the recliner we have is a glider rocker version. he glided and rocked backwards and almost ended up in the spiral stairway. so we now make it a point to make sure if you are riding in that recliner you either have the footrest up (which locks the gliding) or face sideways where the momentum isnt going to make you tip over.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

To make matter even worse, I put wheels on my recliner, but I will have to be careful to not allow anyone to travel in it.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

When I redid the interior on my '78 I put four matching leather chairs in it. They were FlexSteel reclining seats similar to what is used in the fancy van conversions. I bolted them to the floor with swivel mechanisms under them. They dont have the "home furniture" decor look but were very comfortable and didnt move around while traveling. I would be nervous to have furniture that is not secured. A cable could be used on reclining chairs etc. just to avoid it becoming a projectile during a moderate collision.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

The new off-brand coaches have a travel bracket used to secure the euro chairs. It is installed by a bolt that has a large plastic knob. The nuts are recessed into the floor. May be a DOT thing not sure, but works well.

Jimmy

both my passenger seat and recliner by the door are glider rockers. neither one will lock so that they dont rock without having the footrest extended. when we were at steve and suzy's, steve, jimmy and i took them apart and fixed broken supports inside the chairs and looked for a place to try and figure out how to prevent rocking without extending the foot rest, but didnt come up with anything.

it appears that the coaches that were race coaches assumed that there would usually only be the driver when on the road.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH