You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Garmin Dezl 760LMT

we'll compare notes after a couple of weeks use.. maybe I'll find a shorter route.....

Jimmy

Strike Two????? Not sure yet but it is going in that direction. My first Dezl 760 would not communicate with the computer. I returned it and exchanged it. My second Dezl 760 started out working perfectly. I installed the map update, as instructed, and ever since get an error message---"cannot unlock maps". Three more calls to Garmin's first level tech support has proven to be a waste of time and borders on an exercise to wear you down so you stop calling--every call starts with a 30 to 35 minute wait. Yesterday I was referred to their second level of tech support. He emailed me a link that was supposed to uninstall the maps and reinstall. The tech says I have a corrupted file, but this download would fix it. The download took 8 hours and 20 minutes to complete. Upon completion it said it "installed successfully". It made no difference! I still get the error message. Other than the error, this unit seems to work fine. Tomorrow I take this unit back & exchange it for a new one. If I have any more problems I will return the third unit for a refund and go back to my 12 year old gps that works. We bought Suzy a Garmin gps for her side of the coach 3 years ago and have not had a single problem.

Any one else have these issues? If so, how did you remedy it?

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

I have done 2 map updates on my Dezl with no issues at all. The map updates are very large so using a good high speed connection is critical. I am using a Roadrunner Cable connection and the updates, including download, installation and map preparation in the Garmin takes about 2-3 hours.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

I have a DSL connection that is the best for our area. No cable available.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Strike Two!!!!! I emailed the tech at Garmin's second level support that his idea of downloading the maps did not work. He emailed me back that it should have worked. At 9 am I emailed him back requesting our next steps to solve the problem. Remember, he has my email address and phone number. I neither received an email or phone call. No excuses for this poor a level of customer support! This unit is going back tomorrow.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Steve I have Cox. Be home Saturday if you like mine should be there today. I'll down load the updates & let u know how it goes.

Jimmy

I'm sure yours will go fine. For some reason this one has a unlocking the map glitch. Everything else seemed to work fine. If I have to in the future can I come download at your place? Tom gave me a site to check my download speed and I'm downloading at just over my contracted speed, so I don't think it is my internet connection.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Did you speak nicely to it?? I'll give ya a call Saturday.

Jimmy

I just got this unit and made a short trip (6 hours each way) to New Orleans using it. I have not updated map yet. I am not sure yet, but this unit seems to have a weird sense of direction. I was headed up I-85 past Montgomery, AL. That part it got right. But it wanted me to exit I-85 about 20 miles early and take two lane road to my location just outside Auburn. I am not sure what it was thinking, but there are a number of low weight limit bridges on the nearby roads and the only sure thing is to get off at Auburn exit and then backtrack about a mile.

With that said...It has a great screen that is plenty bright for me. I used suction cup to attach to bottom of the overhead console. Easy to read and control at that location. Never had trouble with getting a GPS signal there either.

Will report more experience as I get used to it.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

The biggest disappointment I have had with the 760LMT is the number of truck routes that it doesn't recognize as truck routes.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com