You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

What does this hose do?

Still need some help !
I tracked location of mystery hose it originated from the V of my 83” VT903
Can see and read location from my other post “where does this hose go”
It started out a braided hose and changes to a 5/8 OD air hose and connects to an air canister between the two battery boxes underneath the coach
What is it and what is this for?
I’m going to install new but would really like to know what I’m replacing.
Thanks for any help.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

i reread your posts and am not quite clear. is the hose you are referring to the one that is leaking massive amounts of coolant?

i got lost when you said it connects to an air cylinder.

i had another thought if it is not the one that is leaking coolant. my 8v92 had a slobber tank to catch oil. it went into what looked like an air tank but was just a metal reservoir with a pitcock on the bottom to drain slobber oil off. the hose going to it was something like you are describing.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

This hose sound like the air line from the compressor the the wet tank
Are you sure this is your leak?
There are 2 coolant hoses to the air compressor in that same area
Could you pressure up the radiator and recheck????

Georgeb
Coach 385
Toad Mini Cooper 

I see what looks like a fitting on the right margin of the picture, where does that go?

I'm wondering if this is an air dryer, the standard practice is to have a length of metal braided line between the compressor and the dryer to increase the cooling of the compressed air which makes the dryer more efficient.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

(07-02-2018, 02:18 PM)77newell Wrote:  I see what looks like a fitting on the right margin of the picture, where does that go?

I'm wondering if this is an air dryer, the standard practice is to have a length of metal braided line between the compressor and the dryer to increase the cooling of the compressed air which makes the dryer more efficient.

The hose I removed went from the motor to the vertical tank pictured
The fitting that you see it going to a horizontal  Tank that is probably 2.5’x8” and no more than 1’ away from vertical tank again right between battery boxes
The hose has a good size hole in it and I had 120# of air and great air brakes
I truly believe this is my antifreeze leak but until I get her fixed and pressured up I ‘m not 100%
Thinking about getting a flanged cap to close the engine side and get her pressured up to check . While I go find a place to make me a new hose

(07-02-2018, 01:39 PM)Georgeb Wrote:  This hose sound like the air line from the compressor the the wet tank
Are you sure this is your leak?
There are 2 coolant hoses to the air compressor in that same area
Could you pressure up the radiator and recheck????

I’m not 100% on the coolant leak but I for sure have a hose with a hole
I’m going to get a flanged cap and see if I can start her up without the hose and check
One problem I have is with this 903 it will choke you out if you try and work on it running but I should be able to make check see but gonna have to wait until after the holiday folks leave the park

(07-02-2018, 01:07 PM)encantotom Wrote:  i reread your posts and am not quite clear.   is the hose you are referring to the one that is leaking massive amounts of coolant?

i got lost when you said it connects to an air cylinder.  

i had another thought if it is not the one that is leaking coolant.  my 8v92 had a slobber tank to catch oil.  it went into what looked like an air tank but was just a metal reservoir with a pitcock on the bottom to drain slobber oil off.  the hose going to it was something like you are describing.

tom

Tom, at this point I’m not sure just going to have to dig further and find a replacement hose and replace what I know is damaged

Replacing the hose with a hole in it is almost always a good idea. However, if the line in question is the compressed air line from the compressor on the engine, capping it will almost certainly isolate the compressed air governor from shutting off the compressor at the designed pressure and running the engine in this way will break something.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

(07-03-2018, 05:56 AM)77newell Wrote:  Replacing the hose with a hole in it is almost always a good idea. However, if the line in question is the compressed air line from the compressor on the engine, capping it will almost certainly isolate the compressed air governor from shutting off the compressor at the designed pressure and running the engine in this way will break something.

Thanks for the heads up 
On a mission for new flanged hose

In your first post you had a picture of your compressor and I believe the hose you where asking about is your air output from the compressor. It probably connects to an air dryer, maybe the vertical tank between the batteries. This dryer would then connect to the air storage tanks.

The compressor is water cooled but connected to the cooling system by 2 steel lines into the head of the compressor on the bellhousing side. I dont believe you should be getting any coolant in your air compressor output.

If you would like a manual there are at least a couple of military manuals that deal with the 903. You can find them on www.liberatedmanuals.com searching for TM-5-2815-24-34 (non turbo) and TM 9-2815-219-34 (VTA).

Marcus

Former caretaker of 1983 Newell, Cummins VT903, Allison 654CR