You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

30 to 50 amp adapter?

Maybe somebody can help with this, I only got a 30 amp site (first time) and I created an adapter for it following this diagram https://goo.gl/images/jzkUeQ it doesn’t work and I used the tester and there is 120v on the two blades on the 30 amp plug, I need to find an adapter but in the meantime if anybody can shed some light It will be appreciated.

Thanks!!!!!

1988 40ft Newell Classic
8V92 TA Mechanic
Allison 740 (4 speed)

Just about any RV supply store should have a "dog bone" adapter in stock. Think Camping World, La Mesa etc.

See this diagram: https://www.google.com/search?client=fir...1JnrguI5uM:

The one you referenced doesn't look right.

Good luck!

Danny

Forgot to add, anytime you have two hot wires, you should have about 230 (220) between the two hot wires and about 120 from either to the common or ground wire.

Good luck again.

Danny

(07-24-2018, 07:52 AM)ccjohnson Wrote:  Just about any RV supply store should have a "dog bone" adapter in stock.  Think Camping World, La Mesa etc.

I wanted to do it but at the time we realized we needed the adapter everything was closed already. By the time we left Needles, CA the temp was 118• so by the time we got to Williams AZ we thought temps were going to be similar, we were very wrong and was one of the coolest nights of our entire trip (excluding San Francisco)

(07-24-2018, 07:08 PM)dannymarilyn Wrote:  See this diagram:  https://www.google.com/search?client=fir...1JnrguI5uM:

The one you referenced doesn't look right.

Good luck!

Danny

Forgot to add, anytime you have two hot wires, you should have about 230 (220) between the two hot wires and about 120 from either to the common or ground wire.

Good luck again

Danny

Thank you for the link! The diagram I followed didn’t look right but couldn’t find one that worked!

1988 40ft Newell Classic
8V92 TA Mechanic
Allison 740 (4 speed)

I think there is a CW just west of Flagstaff on I-40.

I pulled out a 30-50 amp pigtail that I carry in my coach and ohmed it out. The only difference between the wiring on the diagram you originally posted and my store bought pigtail is the white and black wires at the 30 amp end are reversed. On mine the white wire (neutral) goes to the 30 amp blade on the right rather than the left and the load line (black) goes to the 30 amp blade on the left when looking at it from the blade slide. The load (black wire) would connect to the two center blades as shown in 50 amp receptacle of their diagram. After I checked the continuity, I noticed that the male and female end of my pigtail are marked with a G on the round plug and a W on the blade above and to the right of the ground as my testing confirmed. The diagram you referenced would reverse the polarity which in most cases should physically work but would be a safety hazard and a code violation.

Since you are starting with a 30 amp 120 volt source, the pigtail is never going to give you 240 volts. All it does is give you the correct receptacle to plug the 50 amp plug into and provide the 30 amps to both 120 amp circuits in the coach. Remember that the 30 amps is the maximum load you can put on the two coach circuits combined (ie 20 and 10, or 5 and 25, or 30 and 0, etc.).

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

I have one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-Indus...B00C595QW6
and have used it successfully to plug into 30amp and a 15 or 20 amp. If the receptacles are on different legs (phases) then you have 30amps + 15/20amps and have both sides of your coach powered. Not as much as 50amp service (which is actually 100amps) but enough to run more than a single 30 amp plug.
Mine is not available but this looks like a similar product: https://www.amazon.com/Conntek-50-Amp-Op...heater+box

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Thanks for checking that out, we ended up changing three different sites because of this, the last one was a 50 amp site and everything worked as it should I need to be better prepared for this next time.

Even if reversed it should have worked, not sure what happened. After the second site I started thinking that I fried something but when moved to the 50 amp site and everything worked we were relieved.

Loved the idea of 2 30 amp plugs to a 50 amp connector but this particular site had 1 30 amp connector and one regular 110v plug (not sure how many amps, I guess that the regular 15 amps as both blades were straight down, not to the side which will indicate 20 amps)

Now enjoying some relax time at Lafayette, LA before the end of our 6000 mile trip this year.

Again, thank you guys!!!

1988 40ft Newell Classic
8V92 TA Mechanic
Allison 740 (4 speed)

Glad you got it worked out. Now go enjoy some Cajun food!

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337