You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Aquahot smoking

It was cold last night and we are unhooked. It was the first time using the Aquahot since it was serviced at Newell. At some point, I think this morning, it started to produce less heat and it was billowing smoking out of the exhaust. It looks like an over fuel or an under air problem. Wanted to ask here for advice before piling in to take it apart as I've never stripped one before.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Mick & Renee
2009 Newell 45’ 8” #1277, C15 625HP 12-speed ZF
Full time working and traveling. 

I know when I serviced mine once and did not get the burner properly seated into the cavity that it produced a huge amount of black smoke.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Mike,

Your burner needs servicing. Cleaning and a new nozzle will solve your issue.

Allowing the burner to sit not used following burner service allows the diesel on the new nozzle to congeal ruining the fine mist spray pattern. This results in some fuel not burning causing white smoke.

Once you service the burner, run it once per month through one heating cycle, period. The burner can go 1, 2, maybe 3 years before needing service again.

A burner that is not seated properly will produce lots of black smoke. Black smoke is more fuel than air due to combustion air leaks around the poorly seated burner.

Hope this helps.

Rudy Legett
2003 Foretravel U320 4010
ISM11 450 hp Allison 4000R
Factory Authorized Aqua Hot Repair Center
Southeast Texas Area

(09-29-2018, 07:04 AM)Trainer Wrote:  Mike,

Your burner needs servicing.  Cleaning and a new nozzle will solve your issue.

Allowing the burner to sit not used following burner service allows the diesel on the new nozzle to congeal ruining the fine mist spray pattern.  This results in some fuel not burning causing white smoke.

Once you service the burner, run it once per month through one heating cycle, period.  The burner can go 1, 2, maybe 3 years before needing service again.

A burner that is not seated properly will produce lots of black smoke.  Black smoke is more fuel than air due to combustion air leaks around the poorly seated burner.

Hope this helps.

The nozzle was only 1 month old from service. I believe the fault was a burner that was not fully seated. A consequence of this is that the combustion chamber melted. I don't know if you have seen such a thing before. See attached photo's, the one with text is looking down the tube into the combustion chamber, its a bit blue looking because of the LED light I used to illuminate the photo.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Mick & Renee

Mike,

Error on my part thinking your smoke was white smoke. The melted swirler is most ususally caused by improperly seated burner. This leaks combustion air to the outside instead of into the combustion chamber. The noise of firing is very differnt from a properly firing burner and lots of black smoke.

The poor combustion cause the swirler to overheat and melt plus the combustion chamber and burn chamber U-channels get real dirty.

So, you are right. New swirler, clean flame sensor, clean ignitor points, clean outside of nozzle, clean combustion chamber, clean U-channels and install burner properly will get you going. Install the combustion chamber with the seam at 12 O'clock, tap the side of the burner to make sure it is snug in place. The J-bolts torque is 20 inch pounds which is snug but not real tight. Do not break the slots the J-bolts slip into by over tightening the J-bolts.

If you wish any phone help, I am availabe from 8 to 8 central time. All the best.

Rudy Legett
Southeast Texas Area

rudy,

you are an incredible resource and person for always being so willing to help all of us

thank you

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

OMG yes, thank you Rudy. Your feedback and confirmation is *very* helpful.

Next week I'm in Alberqueque, NM for the balloon festival. There are a couple of Aquahot service companies there, I wish it were you so I could give you the business.

Mick

Mick & Renee

Well then, get your heater fixed, enjoy the ballons, then drive to Exit 800 on I-10 and give me the "business". I know where the locals go to eat.

Rudy Legett
Southeast Texas Area