You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Carpet protection

In the past I have always carried tarps to protect my carpet when a grease monkey needs to enter my coach for service.  I had some work done at the house and the worker put down masking film to protect the carpet.  It clings very well and never tore over the 5 hrs he was working.

It gave me the idea to try it in the coach.  It clings down to the carpet whether you fully open it up or use it in a less wide folding.  It has not moved or tore in my walking on it.  It is a very lightweight product & inexpensive.  Instead of a box of tarps, I will be carrying a roll of this in a drawer.

It comes in a couple of widths.  I got the stuff that is 6' X 90'.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0067N...0DER&psc=1

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Great idea Steve. Thanks!

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

FYI, many of these types of products are intended for temporary use (like 30 days, max). So, if you're selling a coach and put it down for a while, make sure to read the specs to avoid carpet damage.

Robert
2002 Prevost Liberty XLII, Series 60
IG: @thisisbobalou

FYI. There is no adhesive. It clings by static electricity.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

I believe Robert may be correct. Holland Motor homes installed some of this film to protect our recently steam cleaned off white carpet. It worked so well I decided to leave a portion of it on while I finished a few projects.

I'm not smart enough to know what happens to it after a couple months and countless footsteps, but not only was it a pain to remove, it left what felt like an adhesive residue - even though I know it had no adhesive to start with.

David and MaryLynn Kammeraad
1996 Newell #427
2014 Buick Lacrosse

If you do get grease in your carpet , brake cleaner (ideally the chlorinated type) will do an amazing job of cleaning... Spray it on and rub vigorously with a clean rag.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

If the plastic has a sticky back it works well for short term. However, if you leave it on for months you will find the carpet very sticky and it may not clean off (don’t ask how I know this)

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

You never know where a thread is going to go...............................................................    

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531