You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

2002 front salon drivers side slide air seal replacement

slide seal replacement party starting around 8-9am on monday dec 3rd at my place.

if anyone is in the area and wants to come watch come on over. it should be entertaining at the very least.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I wish we could come by! We are stuck in Huntsville, AL working on our home here, spending my days sanding and painting!
Your slide is a Valid or HWH? Can’t remember what year they changed but we have an HWH...

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

i have a 2002 and it is a hwh hydraulic slide.

this particular slide mechanism is different than the ones used in late 90's. a bit harder to do the seal.

tom

FYI, #645, a 2003 was the first Newell with Valid slides. That coach was thoroughly tested by Newell, then all Newells starting with #650 have had Valid electric slides.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

bill, what did you guys do to beef it up as you put it? what size rivnuts did you use?

tom

Hi Tom,

I happen to be in the area and VERY interested. Will stop by if still OK.
Thanks! Chuck

2001 #579 ("Chester's Coach")

Tom,

Here is post about making the bar into a truss.   Build a truss

Richard may want to pop in here...but if you do the math about how much pressure the bladder seal puts on the room, you will find its A LOT.  By making the “bar” really solid to the room and making sure the “hook” in the middle of the bar engages to the frame of the coach, you really help keep the sag out of the room and allow the seal to do its job.

The rivnuts came from Fastenal if I remember.  They were either 3/8” or 1/2” ...but probably either would work.  

Bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

wow,  what a day.  first of all, thanks to the crew who help me.  my neighbor glen who was the head mechanic today, my buddy terry, chuck who bought chesters coach, joe g from ahwatukee.  we started about 8 and got the slide seal in and the slide back in by 530.  still have to put all the trim and such back on tomorrow.  we had to take the couch apart so there is a bit to put back.  

learned alot.  not something for the faint of heart, but completely doable.  

the slide cart worked perfectly.  

what made this quite a chore was the way the slide rams connected to the slide.  instead of the way the 90's coaches are with easy access to a simple nut on the ram up in the ceiling of a bay and the front wheel well, mine has the rams that screw into a welded nut on the slide that us under the floor from the inside.  quite hard to get at, specially under the couch that hangs over.  

we had to play alot with the slide cart to get the slide positioned right.  just high enough to lift it off the plastic gliding plates on the bottom.  

it got hung up on one of them as it tilted up and caught the slide on the bottom of the back side of the slide.  we easily moved it down and it was ok.  

a key thing it to put the new seal on over the outside of the slide before the slide cart is put under.  

we started on the bottom.  works best if you have fingers the size of pencils that are super strong....even though the slide is a few inches outside the coach, the bottom is still totally covered by the slide.  by using the slide cart to carefully lift the slide up high enough to get your fingers  (in this case glens fingers...ha) 

we put the adhesive on the seal about a foot at a time and then pushed it into the rubber track it goes in.  the slide seal track has a notch in it that is tapered that the matching opposite taper on the seal snaps into.  with a bit of force.  all of this is done hunching under the slide inside the slide cart.

we started where the seal inflation tube goes through the bay.  on mine that is an air con bay so i took the bay door off to have access to that hole.  with the cart there the door would not open.

then moving inside we....meaning mostly glen with the others holding the seal up started putting adhesive on the rear vertical part and since it was a bit stretched, had to bunch the seal down as you go so it ends up being the right length as you get to the other end.  

once the seal was all in, we ate pizza and talked big for a while.  good fun.  

btw, to take the slide out we had to screw those rams out equally.  they threaded in about an inch and different amounts on each ram.  i measure how far the outside of the bottom of the slide was out before taking everything apart and it was 29 1/8 inch.  

once the rams were totally unscrewed, three of us sat on the floor and pushed the slide out with our legs.  the drop down floor goes with the slide.  

to put it back, we had to jockey the cart around a bit, then 3 guys pushed on the outside while  2 of us held the rams with the threaded portion up with a stiff piece of wire until the slide was butting the holding nut up to the ram threads.  

then it took awhile to get the slide straight to get the threads to start on each ram.  

then threaded them in each side a few turns at a time until the outside measurements were the same as before we started.  

tomorrow i will finish putting it all back together.  

tom

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

more pictures

tom

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Way Cool !

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )