You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

8V92 Turbo Intake

Found a broken blade on the turbo intake fan.  See the picture.  Could this be the cause of the engine running hotter at higher speeds?  What is the recommended way to repair these, rebuild them?

Thanks, Frank

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Frank Aragona, 1994 Newell 45’ Coach, 8V92

You need to get it replaced ASAP. If it continues to shed blades the metal goes to the blower & then into cylinders. Exhaust side just sheds blades into the muffler.

(01-09-2019, 03:42 PM)ccjohnson Wrote:  You need to get it replaced ASAP.  If it continues to shed blades the metal goes to the blower & then into cylinders.  Exhaust side just sheds blades into the muffler.

Do they repair or do they rebuild these turbos?

Frank Aragona, 1994 Newell 45’ Coach, 8V92

Get a reman or new one right away. U may have trouble with core charge as yours is incomplete. A rebuilder may have a spare wheel and rebuild yours as well. Lucky the fin didn't stick in valves, which is what usually happens.

Mark and Marian

1986 #125   (left us for a new home in Oregon)
1999 Wanderlodge LX40
1979 Mc 8 6V92
Pace 28' stacker

Regina Beach SK  Maricopa AZ

BIG question.....where is the piece?
I wouldn’t run engine. It can cause big time trouble

Georgeb
Coach 385
Toad Mini Cooper 

I would look carefully at the metal where the break occurred. If it is shiney, then the break is recent and it would be worth some investment in searching fot the missing piece before it goes through the engine. If the metal sat the break is weathered I suspect the part is gone to wherever it was going to go, the only negative if it got hung up in a place where jiggling it would wear something critical over time. Since I no longer have my DD manuals I can't research that, but if I had to guess it would be in the cooler below the blower -assuming the engine is the V92 series. Once you have the turbo off you can do a close inspection of the blower (rotate the engine a bit to to enable seeing all the blower blades. If there are no marks on the blower the pieces were pretty small and probably passed through the engine.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed