You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

staircase sheeting advice

It is finally time for use to get rid of the carpeting in our '82.. I would like to start with the staircase. There is a Vinyl or Rubber type sheeting that we have seen and I could use some advice on where to get it.
The sheeting also has a molded piece for the steps.
thanks in advance.

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

Steve I will be curious to see this. Ernie is helping us out with planning our flooring. We already have the bamboo floor picked out. Think we want to do the Roppe stair treads and risers and then do the side walls of the stairway with a sheet of aluminum. Make it very clean and bright as you enter.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
Former owners of a Classic 1984 Newell
71 Karmann Ghia
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Not so sure about Aluminum, should dent easily and have a more industrial appearance.
Roppe is the product that I have been looking at so for the Treads.
As far as the flooring I am leaning more toward the Vinyl Flooring from Lowes. Snaps together similar to the Laminate etc. and should be better than wood or cork with the Dogs. Still haven't made up my mind but those are my thoughts.

cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

Roppe is the manufacturer, located in -can you believe it- the USA in OHIO!
Ok, what I have been using is the rubber treads and rubber tile- for the bottom step, style is raised round. It does come in many colors and, folks, this is commercial grade and thus is not cheap. It cannot be bought anywher but at a retail flooring store- none of the big box stores have it- or can get it.
I have used stainless steel for the risers. You can purchase that for a metal mart. It comes with a mylar face that you can peel off after installation. You can call them the dimensions and use an industrial double sided tape to attach them to the risers.
I also have used engineered wood on the risers. Lots of options. Ernie

Ernie Ekberg
Bluebird Wanderlodge

Thanks Erniee

Ernie,
Looking for advice on Vinyl Flooring. With our dogs this is becoming our 1st choice for durability.
Swiftlock locks together like a laminate etc. and is 4mm thick while Allure and some others that peel and stick are 2mm thick. Do you think that the thickness will become a problem in the installation?
Another question is that some of the Vinyl Planks are 4" wide and others are 6" wide. Do you have a preference or will it not matter about the width?

(01-24-2013, 03:55 PM)prairieschooner Wrote:  Ernie,
Looking for advice on Vinyl Flooring. With our dogs this is becoming our 1st choice for durability.
Swiftlock locks together like a laminate etc. and is 4mm thick while Allure and some others that peel and stick are 2mm thick. Do you think that the thickness will become a problem in the installation?
Another question is that some of the Vinyl Planks are 4" wide and others are 6" wide. Do you have a preference or will it not matter about the width?
See if you can get some samples and lay them down in the coach and see what width pleases you best. I have done both widths and in a non slide coach, the narrower product would look nice. No problem with thickness.
I use sheets of stainless steel for the risers on the steps. Ernie

Ernie Ekberg
Bluebird Wanderlodge

Bummer is that Lowes charges for each sample but Home Depot doesn't, still only a couple of bucks. Anyway we are closing in on HER choice.

I agree with the 4" wide planks

Thanks again for the advice!