You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

interesting gas stations

hi all,

i took these pictures today of two different gas stations.  the hand pump one was empty, but i saw another just like it clear up in the mountains that someone was filling a scooter with.  you will have to look at all the pictures to find the ones of gas pumps.   ha

the second one was a bit more modern, but in a kinda hard place to get at and you had to avoid the livestock.

btw, these are in the mountains an hour and a half north of chiang mai thailand.  darlene and i are on a month vacation in asia.  singapore, thailand and bali and then back to singapore again and home.  

had an awesome day doing a 4x4 back trails of the mountains on horrible trails in a beat up old toyota 4x4 suv.  it crept and groaned and squeeked but made it everywhere.  we spent hours in first and second gear.  we went from sea level to about 5000 feet. 

the highlight of the day was a long trail drive to a hill people village that tourists dont go to.  we never saw another tourist on the trail, at the village or on the return route a different way.  we visited a school of young kids and passed out cookies to them.  it was so cool to see how appreciative they were.

we really have it good.  

i also posted a picture of the coolest decorated bus i have seen in asia.  

tom in chiang mai

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Very neat Tom!

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Very cool, Tom! Hope you and Darlene enjoy the rest of your trip!

Paul
Coach #540
2000 Double Slide, Bath and a half, Average sized fan for its age
Fulltiming for a while around CO

Great pics Tom. Enjoy! Time to put some new graphics on 608?

94 Newell #365, 2009 Smart, 2005 500SL, 2012 ML350, 1934 Ford Streetrod Golf Cart, 1958 Century Coronado, 1965 Cruisers Inc. Car and Boat CrazyTongue

Wow, sounds like a great trip. I have to say those gas pumps are cool. I've not seen anything like the first one at all.

John and Marcia Marshall 
1975 Newell 30ft - 9.0 IHC
1986 Navstar 9.0 Diesel 160hp
98 Mustang GT
getting closer
ASE Master & Computer Admin
Love old tech  Idea

Interesting pumps. Look much like a fuel-rite and other brands of hand crank pumps here in the US with the addition of a volume chamber on top (the glass part) in the pumps mounted on the barrels. Probably work very much like the old glass topped pumps found across the US years ago, but which are now mainly collector items.

Did you see the octane numbers on the larger pumps? I'm guessing that is the Research Octane Number (RON), although those numbers would be a little low for RON. We use the Anti Knock Index (AKI) in the US on gas pumps which is (RON+MON)/2. With MON being the Motor Octane Number. The numbers on those pumps are high for AKI if thats what they are, but I doubt it.

i did notice they were up to 95. but that said, there was no documentation on the pumps. putting it mildly ha

tom

i dont think the old guy with no teeth smoking on the scooter held together with twine clear back in the mountains cared at all what octane the gas was while he was hand cranking the pump.

ha

tom

Looks like a super fun trip, enjoy it! Thanks for sharing the pictures.

1988 40ft Newell Classic
8V92 TA Mechanic
Allison 740 (4 speed)

Thanks for the pics! cute little kids and the gas pumps are cool! I can ship your Razer over to you if you like! Lol. Have fun you two!

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40