You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Alternate Muffler Replacement

Sad I recently had to replace the muffler on my 99 Newell. The original was the Riker model as documented in other threads. I could not find the Riker on line, and I wondered if there was a financially efficient solution than ordering one from the mothership. 

I did not want to use a straight pipe, and I really didn't want to do any major welding or modifications that would prevent the use of the original style Riker. 

I opted to use this round muffler. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F2N...UTF8&psc=1

You also need a elbow to transition out of the existing flex tubing into a horizontal run. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N65...UTF8&psc=1

You need two clamps  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073ZD...UTF8&psc=1

And a short piece of round tubing to make an exhaust tip. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079VF...UTF8&psc=1

I used an angle grinder to get the length and angle right.

I used two generic muffler hangars to support the muffler at the elbow, and at the exhaust tip. Total modification to the coach was to drill one hole for the aft hangar. 

Initial results are the sound is no louder than the original muffler. I will report on maximum turbo boost, fuel mileage, and jake brake sound when I have some miles on this setup.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Nice write up Richard, thank you! Missouri Mike is building mine with a straight pipe so I'll be looking to put a muffler on when I get it back home. The links will really help.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

It looks really really nice, great job! Thanks for sharing all that information.

1988 40ft Newell Classic
8V92 TA Mechanic
Allison 740 (4 speed)

This is a follow up to the original post. I now have about 2500 miles on this setup. I notice NO additional increase in noise at idle or full bore. The jakes may be slightly louder, but certainly no more obnoxious than the old muffler. I do not see an increase in maximum boost.

I do sense marginally quicker spool up of the turbo when starting up a grade.

I do see an 0.1 to 0.2 MPG increase over the fuel mileage from previous long term monitoring.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Our muffler gave up the ghost although not as bad as Richard's.  I have heard Richard's coach, with his new MBRP muffler, which sounds great BTW!  So I ordered up what Richard recommended and fabricated some angle iron to use the same OEM mounting points.  Instead of straight 5" pipe I ordered a 5" chrome exhaust tip to direct the flow over to the side.  Since I am in a garage my old muffler was pretty loud.....the MBRP is slightly quieter certainly no louder.  Thanks Richard for a great fix for the muffler.....highly recommended!

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

That looks sweet Steve! When time I will follow you and Richards lead.

Not sure if I mentioned this but when the turbo blew out the oil got past the seal till I capped off the oil feed line and out into the muffler, I had to drill a hole in the muffler to drain oil out, still smoked for about 10 miles but I'm sure it killed many mosquitos in North Little Rock AR.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

Thank you Richard for this write up and parts! I had a rock jump out in front of my coach while backing yesterday and broke the brackets that were very poorly installed. I’m going to use a combination of the muffler and parts you and Steve recommended and bolt on a new muffler - my old one is fine but it is straight and super loud! I’m going to go ahead and make the brackets today as Steve suggested and remount the old one but will order the parts for the MBRP M2220A 31" Aluminized Quiet Tone Muffler today! I LOVE the way my current muffler sounds but it is way too loud in campgrounds and there is no way of making an early morning quiet exit from the campground…

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40