You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

How to polish marble floors?

Gang,

I have the same brownish marble floors that are common to Newell coaches. Mine have really dulled over time. There are a few places that are still shiny (where I dont walk).

I have tried buffing compounds from the auto parts store. No improvement. I also tried 300 wet/dry sandpaper on a small spot. No improvement or change. I also tried the stuff that they use to clean plastic headlights.

Anyway, has anyone found a good way to restore the marble floors?

Cheers,
bill

ps. I also wanna buff out the scratches in my corian countertops but have not tried anything yet.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

hi bill, i have refinished the corian tops in my 90. it takes a series of really fine orbital sanding disks getting finer. starting at like 220 or so i think all the way up to 1000 grit or higher if i recall, but it depends on the finish that you want. it makes a GIGANTIC mess of dust. corian is very easy to get to any finish that you like. then you use a special scotch brite like pad if you want a dull/shiny finish. i experimented with what finish i wanted then did all the counters. turned out great.

as for the marble, i have granite in mine and it is still shiny. we have some marble floors in my house and we keep thinking we should get them restored to a new shine but have not....so no good advice there.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

http://www.specialtytools.com/

this is where i ordered my corian refinishing stuff from. give them a call and they will guide you

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I had issues on some marble floor in our home during re-construction. Search everywhere for someone to do the job...I found a company that does the entrance to Ritz Carlton in New Orleans. I found them via a janitorial service. Excellent job.. even moved a Grand Piano. $1,000 later for a room about 20 x 20. Still shiny after 5-6 years...

See All You Can!
Before Its Gone!Big Grin

Bill,

I had green marble floors in my 93 Newell and they were very dull because of foot traffic. Like you, I tried marble polishes sold at Lowe's etc. Nothing worked.

I hired a professional marble polisher who was a master marble finisher. He charged $545 in 2003!
When he was finished you could comb your hair using the marble as a mirror! Worth every penny.

He told me that marble is very soft relative to granite so it will need polishing more often than granite.

Good Luck!

Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2005 Honda Pilot

My house has a ton of marble floors and like you guys I paid the experts to come in and do their thing. I will call Tom's guys and then move on to a professional. My house floors are part white and part green. I had to go back and clean all the compound from the grout on the green tiles. Big giant mess! But they turned out really shiny and pretty.

Thanks for the input!

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama