You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

NO cranking ......

1988 40 ft 8V92

Engine will start by jumping the starter mounted battery cable to the starter mounted solenoid terminal.

Will not start via the ignition switch.

Under dash circuit board: 

Circuit 14 is supposed to be the starter circuit. It is hot, electrified not temp, when the ignition switch is turned to the start position. Ckt 14 is a fairly small red wire. The control wire at the solenoid is a black wire, 14-10 gauge, hefty.

This leads me to believe that Ckt 14 actuates a relay or solenoid closer to the starter.

Any ideas? Who, what, where, how, or Y?

Thank you,
Tim

Yes, look in the passenger side bay by the engine. Open the SS doors on the inside. You should find a big Cole Hersee relay in there for the starter. It looks just like the merge solenoid except it is a intermittent duty model.

http://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?tid=4307

Model number of the solenoid is in this thread.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Assume your neutral light is on ? Will it start using the switch in rear panel ? On our 86 the neutral safety control is actually square relays under the dash , I will try to locate schematic. 
Chris

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

Chris, Thank you

Richard,

No Cole Hersee relay.....   Sad

Hmmm, trace the wire off the starter solenoid backwards is all I know to tell you.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

Just a thought. Although my coach is way older than yours, I had a similar problem years ago, only the problem was the 'trigger' wire between the starter solenoid and the starter. It had developed a short. Problem solved when that wire was replaced.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

On the '86 the neutral safety relays are mounted on the panel forward of the steering column about 10 inches off the floor . Almost hidden by heat/cooling hoses . There are two square plastic relays as well as a larger metal encased relay . 
Chris

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

I had a similar problem with 385. Guys at Newell told me to get it started At rear of 
Coach.....then put it in gear .....first forward then reverse...turn off at key..then try to start

It worked, they said trans didn’t know it was in neutral.

Georgeb
Coach 385
Toad Mini Cooper 

Tim,

Did you resolve this isssue? If so would you share your fix with the forum?

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad