You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Slide Hydraulic Leak

Went to check on my rig yesterday.  Been having problems with charging.  Seemed to be charging appropriately.  Generator won't start.  Doesn't seem to be getting enough speed to catch.  Generator slide won't extend so I can begin to look for the problem.  Went around to the driver's side and found a hydraulic fluid leak.  Read in one of the generator posts that the generator slide is hydraulic.  Can the slide failure be attributed to the hydraulic leak?  Can the leak be repaired without removing the slide?  I don't see any way around it.  I'd like to get these cleared up so that I can sell the rig.  Does this rate a trip to the mother ship?  I'm old, fat and have emphysema, so there's very little I can do on my own.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Paul & Jane McCullough

Paul,

I doubt you have a hydraulic generator slide. My coach is one year newer and has an air powered slide. Do you have air pressure? It will take 80 or better to move my gennie. Did you feel the safety catch beside the extension knob release? Crank the big engine, and build 120 psi air pressure, then try the generator slide out.

On your hydraulic leak, not enough info to make a guess as to problem.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

my 02 has a hydraulic genny slide.....but my 99 has an air operated one.

the air ones are known to have that latch catch.

and ditto on build up to 120

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I did not see your picture last night. Slow internet here.

The slide leak looks like a hose or connection to the front ram that extends and retracts the slide. That is a trip to Miami OR HWH in Moscow Iowa.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I am the former owner of coach #500 and sold it to Paul.  Concerning the generator slide:  It is AIR driven.

If I remember correctly at one time I had an air leak somewhere in the generator slide system.  Miami thought it was possibly at the air ram, but they did not have one in stock.  So in order to get us on our way, they installed a ball valve in the line TO the In/Out generator slide valve.  This stopped the air leak to the generator slide - worked just fine, BUT you have to remember to Open that Valve before you use the normal In/Out valve. (Also have to Close it after your done using the slide.) Hope this makes sense. Paul, look for the ball valve just before the Red pull/push valve. 

As for as the front slide leak, I have no idea. Never had a problem with either slide.

I did have a leak at a hydraulic hose fitting in the passenger side first bay behind the front wheel.  Not sure what the hose was for; it was at a "fitting". Newell was able to cut the hose and press/clamp a new fitting - problem solved.  Paul, look through the Newell Invoices I gave you.  Maybe they noted which hydraulic circut was involved.  Could be another hose/fitting gone bad.   

Hope this info will help.

Regards,  Jerry B.

Jerry & Barb Bommarito
Former Custodians of the "Rolling R Ranch"
Newell Coach #500 

Thanks to all.  In retrospect I'm know you are right about the air powered slide.  Air pressure at 120, ball valve open, pulled latch, pulled opener, nothing happened.  I'll have to have it looked at when I take her in for the slide leak.  Got an email from Mike at Newell, says probably will have to over extend the slide.  Looking at 3-5K.  It happens.  Thanks again to all.

Paul & Jane McCullough