You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Air System Questions?

Sometime in the years past mine was disconnected I haven't bothered to reconnect it as of yet.  Is this type of water seperator a DOT certified unit? 

Steve

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL
Bug 

Good morning Jerry.

Your coach appears to be set up just like mine. I believe the holes you hear air escaping from is simply a protective cover over the polycarbonate bowl which, as Richard mentioned, commonly crack. I think if you remove the outer metal cover you will find a cracked bowl. 

The dash switch isn't an override switch. It simply turns the system on and off. The leak must be large enough to cause the compressor to run continuously. 

The purpose of the air/water filter (at least on my coach) is to prevent any moisture or debris in the air line from reaching the six pack.

Again, I think taking the metal protective cover with the holes off and exposing the polycarbonate bowl will lead you to your solution.

David and MaryLynn Kammeraad
1996 Newell #427
2014 Buick Lacrosse

Water separator, and definitely not DOT. After replacing three, I simply took it out, and hard piped. I never once found water in it, so I wasn’t sure what it was keeping out of the six pack.

I think the problem is that the polycarbonate used for the clear bowl does not stand up to the heat of the engine compartment. If you wanted to replace the separator with a less likely to fail part, look for an all metal construction.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Thanks for the information, really appreciate it. I decided to take it to the a private shop, he told me that it was leaking and needed to be fixed because the compressor will run continuously. Probably could have done it myself now that I read the posts, but this guy has lots of experience and maybe has a good fix. It gave me a chance to check out the new LED bulbs. They work great, now I can see the road at night. With this fix, I think the coach is finally operating at 100 percent. Again, thanks for the advice.

(07-21-2019, 10:30 AM)Jerry Wrote:  I have a 1996 Coach 428 and have some questions about the air system.  My coach has a Air Comp switch on the dash that turns on a compressor in the front of the coach and continues to run because the coach is releasing air in the engine battary compartment. The air release in the battary compartment releases air, even when the gauge is below 50 PSI.  There is also a compressor in  the Aquahot bay and the gauge  shows 5 PSI after setting for a week.  When driving the coach, the brake air and other air gauge go to over 100 PSI, not sure exactly, but appear to be working well.   

I will post some pictures and maybe it will help explain what's going on with the air system and how it all works together.  I would appreciate someone giving me a general overview of the Newell air system, compressors, purpose, appropriate air pressures, when air should be released, and how to adjust if necessary?  

Thanks,
Jerry

hi Jerry, 
I just stumbled onto your post from 2019. I noticed your coach is 39’ we are looking for a shorter one. Do you still own it? If so are you interested in selling?

thank you,
Becky