You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Classic Newell Digital temperature gauge retrofit

Just wondering if any of you with mechanical Detroit Diesels have retrofitted you dash with this combo analog - digital engine temp gauge ?  Too good to be true, or the real deal ?

https://amzn.to/2MEfuaX

Thanks,
Guy

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

I just saw this post , gauge looks really good . Did you get one ? 
Chris

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

It is next on the list, I have it in them in the storage bay. I am grounded by a simple medical issue right now.

I follow bus grease monkey on Utube He travels the country in his 1946 Greyhound sevicing Deroit 2 cycles . He works on only mechanical non electronically controlled units. Scott is his name. He has retrofitted water and oil with the same digital gauges on his 1946 Greyhound powered by a 6V71 non turbo Detroit . The transmission is a non syncro 4 speed on the column , with original no power steering , just as GMC built in after WWII. He mentions quite often the weak link in all Detroit 2 cycles is heat. Specificaly the cracking of heads at approx 210 degrees. You might enjoy him on utube, as he posts daily. His web site busgreasemonkey.com is not always current, but I find his utube video informative and detailed. One day it's a Sherman tank, the next day its a bus or motorhome.

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

Guy, are you going to have bus grease monkey install your new gauge?

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

Clarke I sent you a pm.    When we put in a new   transfer switch 3 years ago ( time flies } we pulled a 12 conductor 6 pair  overall shielded cable to run to the dash. I think i will be able to use that to  run the two new dash guages. My delema is I almost want to leave the existing guages in dash and run these as secondary for a period of time. It is not a logical thought to want to back up good guages with inaccurate, but they have been my lifeline for 25 k miles.

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

I too follow Bus Grease Monkey . Videos are informative and interesting . Wealth of Detroit two stroke knowledge .
Chris

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

Mount the gauges on the A pillar

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Thanks Richard. I think that is the way to go until the new ones have proven themselves.

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

Lots of the diesel pickup guys mount additional gauges there. Much easier to see than buried in the dash. You may be able to use one of the commercially available pods to mount them.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )