You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Phantom Retractable Screen Door Fabric Replacement - Mid Door 1482

Phantom Screen Door Repair Mid Door Coach 1482

Door was squeaking when retracting and generally needed new fabric and cleaning.
The track is all that holds the door in place.  There are no screws other than the track screws.
Remove top track screws and remove track.  Newell had installed a pop rivet which made the removal
from the track guide more difficult but was able to get the track off.
Remove Bode door air valve cover which exposes the end of the bottom track.  Extend screen track
guide past end of bottom track & remove from track.  Bottom track does not need to be removed.
Pull the top of the Phantom housing out from the door frame and wiggle the bottom backwards out of
the track & remove from coach.
Screen fabric was 36” X 86 ¼”.  Purchased 8’ from Ace Hardware & trimmed to size.
Removed the housing top 2 screws and removed the spring retainer housing which allowed the spring
to unwind.  Removed bottom 2 screws and the bottom pin retainer housing.  Both needed cleaning,
especially the bottom.  Remove the spring from the tubing with pliers.  I put some grease onto the
length of the spring and oiled both ends of the spring as the mechanism squeaked when retracting. 
I put a small amount of grease on top of the spring slotted end.
Slide the screen from the handle end.  The screen is sewn onto a plastic spine.  I used an Exacto
blade to cut the threads so I could reuse the plastic spine.  I unrolled the screen from the tubing
& removed it.
I folded the new screen over the plastic spine and slid it into the channel.  I used a thread from
the screen to sew the folded screen to keep from slipping through the spine.
I attached the screen to the tube with duct tape & rolled it up.  Installed the tube into the
housing leaving enough of the spring end exposed to wind it up 13 turns.  Wiggle the tube and ends
into place and install the screws.
Install the Screen door onto coach.  Install the bottom screen housing first guiding it into the
bottom track then slide the top into place.  Extend the screen and slide the bottom guide onto the
track and retract the screen.  Slide the top track into the guide and install track & screws.
Test the mechanism and install Bode door cover.

The quality of the Phantom Screen Fabric is excellent, much better than the hardware store screen. The next time it needs replaced I may drop the door off at a Phantom dealer for replacement. Their turn around time was longer than I had before travel.

Attached Files
.pdf Phantom Screen Door Repair Mid Door Coach 1482.pdf Size: 75.95 KB  Downloads: 30

Jim
2014 Newell Coach 1482 Mid Entry 45'8" Valid Slides and Valid Levelling

Excellent write up!!!!

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

I was reading this writeup and thinking this is like following a Hanes manual for cars. Only this gives us reassembly instructions instead of "assembly is the reverse of dissassembly".
Thank you Jim. I could follow along with pictures in my mind of what you were doing. I haven't gone into my door - - yet.

Hank & Natalie Bensley
2001 Double Slide #586. 
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk Toad
We've been RV owners since 2002.
Port Orange, FL. Soon we will travel full time for "a while" Smile