You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Coach Fire

Hi all, well we have been in our 1989 newell for almost 14 years now heading back to our winter spot just outside of Yuma Az.
We pulled in to Oneonta Ny to stay at wal-mart at 3 pm today and when we came on to the ramp off the highway I noticed the steering was stiff and the air was down to 60 lbs. Looked in the mirror and saw black smoke coming out of the engine compartment. By the time I got to the engine compartment it was in flames. I quickly grabbed 3 cans of fire extinguisher and the on red powder extinguisher and it took all but was able to contain it before the fire dept got there but they had to pull the insulation out and spray some water on it to make their call worth while i guess. After pondering what could have caused the fire I now believe that a powers steering line had leaked that is why it was stiff plus I noticed ity a bit stiff earlier in the day also. It must have squirted fluid all over the engine because there was fire in places that didn't make sense. Like on top of the asbestos cover for the exhaust and the plastic knob to adjust the air beside the door. The side of air filter which is metal was a blaze.  The main flames were in the front of the engine mainly coming up from below. Of course all plastic lines were melted. No other damage but the engine compartment but talking to the insurance co they seem to think it is a total without much conversation about it. The towing company had a heck of a time getting it ready for towing because it wouldn't hold air and he couldn't disconnect the drive shaft. So had to run threaded rod in the brake chambers and remove the axle cover to remove the axle. 
all in all about a 5 hr event. No I don't have road side assistance but they think they can get the insurance to cover it!!!.
Called newell and talked to Jim Gerig and he also thinks a total.  Seems to me that just repairing the lines and what ever else burned and it would be fine. The flames were not burning but maybe a minute before I started hitting them with the extinguishers. anyway I have my car hauler 25 ft my toyota fj cruiser and all our personal belongings to get back to Yuma some how. Thats our day in our newell hope your day has favored better.

1988 40 ft 8v92 newell
Coach name Big Blue
25 ft Haulmark car hauler with Andersen Anti sway
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser.

Sorry to here that Brad ,
I had something similar happen in my 1981 newell, the oil line going to the external bypass oil filter ruptured spraying hot oil in the engine compartment.
I looked in the mirror and smoke was bellowing out of the engine compartment, I just knew it was on fire.
Luckily it was not and all it took to repair was a new line and a car wash. 
The line was so brittle you could snap it off in your hands without much pressure at all. Paul

Paul and Sherry Schneider
1994 newell coach 366, 38 ft with a 8v92 ddec 2

Thanks Paul.
If it gets totaled someone familiar with the newell should grab it. It is a great coach and in great condition, Just put all new tires on it also. And a new passenger side windshield. Tires are Michelin XZE2. Nice tires and pricy.

1988 40 ft 8v92 newell
Coach name Big Blue
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser.

So sorry to hear this! Praying for you that it all works out for the best.

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

I lost a power steering hose in a Home Depot parking lot on the ol '78 Newell. No fire. It took a few hours to find a mobile repairman to help me fix it. He had a hose maker right in his service truck.
Praying you will get everything in order again, Brad. Props for being equipped and having the presence of mind to extinguish the fire. It would have been much worse if you weren't prepared.
You're experience is causing me to reconsider what extinguishers etc. I should have on board.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Thanks guys. I was thinking that one of those engine compartment extinguishers like in the generator compartment would have been good to have. Would have worked automatically. Mac the fire guy sells them. I bought my can fire extinguishers from him years ago. Those extinguishers are non toxic and wont corrode the wires like the powder extinguishers.

Another day is here not sure where to start!

1988 40 ft 8v92 newell
Coach name Big Blue
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser.

Hi Brad, I was thinking the same thing. The generator fire extinguisher also stops the engine if there is a fire - this would probably be bad on the road. Do you have a URL for Mac the Fire Guy? I did some searching but don’t see anything but a Facebook site...

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

Firefightproducts.com  SS300R6 is for engine compartments.  Just don't install the big cylinder too close to your exhaust or it will melt the gauge.

Update. There is a mechanic here that thinks he can repair the damage. I am not sure which way to go yet as we are waiting to hear from the insurance settlement department. Our big issue right now is we have the 25 ft Haulmark we use to trailer the FJ cruiser and it also has many tools and a couple welders and of course miscellaneous junk. And we have all our personal stuff in the newell to do something with. All this needs to go to our winter spot in AZ. We considered renting a u-haul truck big enough to tow the trailer with FJ inside and our personal belongings inside the truck but u-haul says we can't tow personal trailers behind their truck only another uhaul trailer and even if we did do that the total cost from here in NY to Yuma would approach $5K. Thought about buying another lesser used coach here but what would we have to get to tow the 11000 lb trailer with no problem to the engine. Thought about pairing down but even if we didn't have the trailer we would have to dolly the FJ cruiser then that would mean all my tools etc in the trailer i would have to get rid of and i use these tools to support our life on the road. So still pondering. If anyone knows of another newell for sale similar to ours please let me know just incase, good to have options.

1988 40 ft 8v92 newell
Coach name Big Blue
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser.

You might consider something like Forward Air or one of the POD services - it’s basically a small container that you put all your stuff into and they ship it for you; pretty cheap to use. The PODS you can just leave your stuff in and they charge you monthly.
You should be able to buy your Newell back from the Insurance company after they total it...

Karen & Adrian Abshire