You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Air Leaks

I can't find any air leaks.  Loosing about a pound a minute when parked. 110volt compressor cuts in at 70 and cuts out at 90. Runs about 5 to 10 mins every 20 mins.  I have ruled out the air bags and the leveling, stays level with the leveling system off.  Only 3 air powered items, the toilet, drivers seat and an interior sliding pocket door.  Soapy watered everything I could find and I do not see or hear any leaks.  

Could a 110v compressor be set up only on the auxiliary side of the air system rather that the entire bus air system?

Frank Aragona, 1994 Newell 45’ Coach, 8V92

A pound a minute is a pretty decent air leak (or likely several smaller leaks). At the Rally last May, Richard and Steve each gave a presentation that you should watch. The first was Richard's presentation on the Fundamentals of the air system in Newells and the second was Steve's presentation on the Maintenance of the Newell air systems. I suggest that you start with Richard's then go to Steve's presentation. I video recorded these presentations, divided them up into watchable segments and posted them here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOX2Z7Y...ibQ/videos

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

"Only 3 air powered items, the toilet, drivers seat and an interior sliding pocket door." You may also want to check your air bladders that seal your slides by spraying some soap on them too (if you have slides).

Oscar & Janet Valent
Full timing
2004 Foretravel U320 3820 PBBS
2007 Newell Coach #815 - Great Coach Sold
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit

One of my air tanks had a pinhole leak . My mechanic put a spot of weld there and it’s been good for 6 years.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Take a quick look at the air water separator at the rear six pack of leveling valves. Notorious for the clear bowl cracking and leaking like crazy.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Does you rig have an "air" slide for the generator?  Could be a leaky seal on the activation ram - either side "out or in".

Jerry & Barb Bommarito
Former Custodians of the "Rolling R Ranch"
Newell Coach #500 

I had the Aeroquip hose from the 120vac compressor seeping air in the first 6 inches through the hose from the compressor.  This was due to the heat from generator exhaust deteriorating the internal rubber hose (rubber was dry rotted and stiff).  Had enough slack to cut-out the bad part and reinstall the same fitting on good hose.

Steve

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

I would like to thanks Glenn @"Glenn and Laureen" for noticing that Part 4 of the Newell Air System Fundamentals was not Part 4, it was a partial repeat of Part 3. I have corrected the error and anyone who is interested in the way the tag axle air system works should view the newly uploaded Part 4 here: https://youtu.be/dSkrV1RqzBo

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

You are getting a lot of good suggestions, but are missing a troubleshooting strategy. If you seach this site you will likely find a schematic, or a close facsimile, that will help you find valves that will allow you to break the system into segments which vastly speeds up locating the leak(s). You are otherwise searching through a seemingly endless barrel of snakes with increasing frustration.

There are a couple valves near your supply tank that allow isolating the two segments of the non-brake air systems. I would start by shutting both off and watch my air pressure gauges to identify the segment that is leaking and work from there.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed