You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Looking for classic Newell repair recomendations

We are looking for recommendations in Kentucky, Tennessee, Ohio, Indiana, West Virginia, Virginia, North Carolina for mechanical and electrical work.  We have been to two shops locally already and both let us down.  So now looking to see if anyone on here has used a shop in these states (seems like most recommendations are in AZ, CA and FL).  Our bus runs and drives but closer is better (assuming equal service provided) currently in Lexington Kentucky.

Mark and Melanie
1985 Newell 40’
#75 ? (still not confirmed)
First motor coach

Mark,

It might help if you were more specific about what you need help with.

@"ron skeen" has a shop in Knoxville that he uses for mechanical work. Jeff at East Tenn Lux coaches in Maryville TN might be a resource for electrical and cosmetic.

I lived in Huntington for five years. I did not like dealing with WEC. But there is a fantastic parts place in west Huntington called Webb’s. Old school, old dusty building, but they know parts, and don’t look at you crazy because Newell is not in their computer.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Sorry I was not more specific but hanks for advice. I will try to the best of my knowledge.

1. I have a coolant leak in area toward rear of bus but by engine not radiator (maybe a water pump)
2. My generator is not making power and need it repaired or someone that can be honest if better to replace at this point. I keep going back and forth on this.
3. I am not getting power to charge house batteries, not sure why.

We would like to bring this bus back to usable condition with a need not to go broke trying to do it.

This is all on 1984 Newell with the 8V92 and a 1983 Perkins Kohler 12.5 kw.

Mark and Melanie
1985 Newell 40’
#75 ? (still not confirmed)
First motor coach

We have a coach that is as close to your coach as you will find, but as we all know, no two Newells are the same. We had wonderful service from Tri State Truck and RV in Chattanooga. It is a  small second generation family owned shop that is familiar with 2 stroke Detroit engines, and don't mind working on coaches. They had a mix of heavy trucks and a Prevost for heavy mechanical when we were there. We had our alternator rebuilt by them. The alternator on our 8V 92 Classics is ""wedged"  between the engine and the firewall, next to the air compressor. Jim Terry and his wife Laura  were great to deal with.   3500

We also have been chasing a coolant leak for two years, which finally became obvious in Sioux Falls this month. Our coaches have heater hoses which depending on options when built, may run under your bed to a small bedroom heater, to the water bay for preheating a Raritan water heater, and to the driver area  for footwell area heat and defrost. Running down the center of the coach are several wye type fittings, and ball shut off valves found in some storage bays , right under the coach floor area.  ( Look up)  Our particular leak was coming from a cracked wye fitting and wicking it's way down the heater hose , coming out 15 feet away near the front bumper.  

www.tstrv.com

Tri State Truck and RV
3500 N Hawthorne St
Chattanooga Tn
423 800-8405

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

Heavy Truck and Equipment Repair in Columbia City, Indiana was recommended to me. My Newell is currently there. So far I have been pleased with their work on a very difficult diagnosis and repair. I have not seen the bill yet but hope to have the repair completed this week. I will post a more complete comment on this whole saga once I have all the "facts"!

http://www.heavytruckandequipment.co/

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

when I was in Nashville afew months back I stopped by the prevost shop to check it out lots of bays to work out of..right off the highway