You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Battery isolator replacement source

I'm planning on removing my isolator and wiring in these tyco relays. I prefer not wasting the current loss which outputs a lower voltage to the batteries that the isolator induces. The tyco relay is rated at 500 amps continuous duty and has already replaced my merge solenoid for better reliability. Bought on ebay for $75 with free shipping. These are hermetically sealed and are much more robust than the OEM's. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tyco-500-Amp-12...2004001639

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Former Owner 2001 Fleetwood Discovery
Proud Newell Owner 2004 S/N 698
FAA Licensed Airframe & Powerplant Technician, Inspection Authorized.
44 years of Aviation filled Joy!

Charging problem solved!
As I remember xplained in my first post, I was getting 14.2V out of my alternator but losing .8V thru my isolator. Leaving the batteries with 13.4V charging voltage.
Battery manufacturer says correct charge voltage should be 14.0-14.7V
Solution was to increase the incoming voltage to isolator to something 15-15.5V
How do you do that??
You set the voltage regulator to the correct setting!
Voltage regulator was set to setting #2 for AGM when it should be set to #4 to compensate for the isolator!
There is a small multi position switch located on the bottom of the regulator!
A small screwdriver and a turn of the switch and WALLA !
Problem fixed!
My guess is this was wrong from the factory !

Coach 1267, 2009 front entry

Thank you for posting the solution! Which brand voltage regulator do you have?

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

It is a Sure Power 300amp isolator.
Alternator & Regulator are C E Niehoff
I will try to attach instructions for the regulator.
So the engine side of the charging system is fixed.
Now I have to figure out why both inverters are inverting but only one of them is charging.
And of course this AM a new unrelated problem.
My window shades are causing a fuse to blow on the spider system.
It’s always something!
[attachment=7319]

Coach 1267, 2009 front entry

On the inverter charging issue is it possible the one not charging is seeing a higher voltage due to the other one that is charging so it's not charging? If so I have no idea how to get them to play nice. Maybe there is a setting that allows it to charge regardless?

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Thank you, I was not familiar with the Niehoff regulator. Neat feature.

This is how the forum has grown over the years. Someone has a unique problem. They invest the time to investigate and develop solutions. They post that for the others to learn from. Thank you for your contribution. We don’t have nearly as many gurus of the late 2000s coaches on the forum, and the bulk of our experience is with earlier technology Newells. Thank you for starting the data base for the latter year coaches.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

I really wondered about how my coach was setup to avoid the voltage loss through the isolator diode. I knew it did not have the same adjustable regulator. Today, I went to the engine bay to noodle on this, and I found the Oklahoma farm boy solution. Newell easily worked around this by hotwiring the in terminal on the isolator to the chassis side. Makes sense after all, you want the chassis batts charging anytime the alternator is turning

Another owner of a very similar vintage coach has sent me a photo, and his coach does not have the jumper. Mine is obviously factory. The jumper may render the isolator useless. I don’t know enough about how the isolator really works in terms of what are the minimal differential voltages for it to transmit current, and what the trigger wire from the alternator actually does. I have read the NOCO instructions many times and it is still not clear to me. My isolator doesn’t work with the Lithium house batts anyhoo, so I never really worked on it, or worried about it.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad