You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Backup Lights Switch?

The backup lights on our 1984 Newell Classic do not work. They are located in the rear bumper. After extensive (for us) sluthing, Laureen and I have concluded that there is some sort of switch or relay located under the gear shift that is not sending the proper signal when we put the gear shift into reverse. I have attached a couple of  pictures (below) of the suspected small cannister device. What is this thing called and where do I buy one? How do I get the old one out?

We came to the conclusion that this small switch is the culprit after doing the following:

1. Removed the lights from the bumper and hooked them up to a 12v source. They worked fine. We reinstalled them after cleaning up the housings and adding ground wires (they were originally self grounding but the housings are 36 years old).

2. We confirmed that we have continuity from that switch over to the front fuse/terminal panel in front of the passenger seat, then back to the panel on the outside rear of the coach and then down to the backup lights reinstalled in the rear bumper.

3. We have 12v on one of the wires on that switch but not the other one (tested with the coach in reverse and the ignition switch in the on position. 

We think that little switch is not closing the circuit to allow current to flow when we turn on the key and put the gear selector into reverse. If that is true, how do I get it out? Where do I find a replacement? What is this thing called?

Thanks for any help.

Sorry for posting the same photo 3 times. Still learning how to do this stuff here.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Glenn & Laureen Parker
Austin, Texas
1984 Newell 35'  (Coach #58? - not confirmed)
6v92 TA Detroit Diesel, MT654 Allison 5 speed trans
2005 Honda Element toad
2007 Honda S2000 fun car

After further research I have discovered that the gear shift module was made by Morse and that the component in question is usually referred to as a neutral safety switch (also used as the reverse/backup lights switch).

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/morse-co...switch-kit

They are out of stock at the moment (about $42).

The top view of my gear shift mechanism looks like this:

Glenn & Laureen Parker
Austin, Texas
2005 Honda Element toad
2007 Honda S2000 fun car

Great post!

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

WOW. Mine are non op, but I ignored it as we pull an encolsed trailer. I will now put it on my "soon" list. Always feels better to have all systems go. 
Since you are now working on back up lights in prep for your upcoming Alaska trip, I assume you have come to the end of your to do list on your coach.
Best wishes on a wondeful trip, and please keep your Newell friends updated on your trip to Alaska with Clarke and Elaine.

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

With a little ingenuity, you should be able to get something working using the old bracket and a new switch. And a lot less than $42.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

That's what I'm thinking Mr E. I took the day off today and slept a few extra hours. Will take that switch out and look at the situation again tomorrow to see if I can fix what's there. I was thinking I had to get the backup lights working ASAP because I have to get the coach inspected and registration renewed in the next few weeks. However, I looked at the list of things that are listed as mandatory in the Texas DPS book and backup lights are not listed. So, we shall see. Also, we have 2 house water pumps on our Newell and one of them is not working and I need to check that out. 

Guy, we are hoping to roll out of here and head to Arizona in a couple of weeks to have Leo at All Aboard America in Mesa give the Newell a once over and do some minor maintenance before heading to Alaska but the public health environment is not cooperating. We (and Clarke & Elaine) will take things as they come. I'm prepared to to wait it out here at home if that becomes necessary. We have only 2 reservations in Alaska and those are not until July so we can be flexible about dates. We have to finish mounting a new rear view camera, spray paint new electric heater grill covers, install refurbished speakers in the front of the coach, renew our roadside coverage and load up our food, clothes and supplies before rolling. Or, we let it stay in the driveway for another month...

Glenn & Laureen Parker
Austin, Texas
2005 Honda Element toad
2007 Honda S2000 fun car

I bet @Richard, or numerous other gurus, could point you in the right direction about where to pick up a switch.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad