You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Low voltage at dash meter

As I understand it, the merge switch uses the house batteries to activate the mrege solenoid in on position and the chassis batteries to activate the solenoid in the other position.

I knew it was something like that, been along time since I read the thread on it. I left the merge switch on last night and then returned it to the neutral position prior to starting today's drive. Dash meter read 11.5 early then settled back to 11 ~ 11.25 after about an hour. I"ll check the voltage at the batteries. Should that be done with the engine running?

Jack and Dianna Hunt
Coach #663
2003 - 45' triple slide

Jack, check the voltage with the engine off. That will tell you if the dash meter is significantly askew. Then check with the engine running. The voltage should go up with the engine running indicating the alternator is properly charging. You should see 13.2 or so with the engine off, and 13.7 to 14.1 with the engine running.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

You may want to load test all batteries. As I understand from talking to Newell, on our coach at least, the batteries are auto merged when engine is running. Your voltages seem a little low. A bad house battery could be pulling the whole system down when the engine is running even if alternator is charging. Batteries should be load tested individually. A good time to clean & treat terminals.

Finally got somewhere with a signal. Engine off I get 12.9, on I get 13.6. Both a bit low.

Jack and Dianna Hunt
Coach #663
2003 - 45' triple slide

Had even more fun Friday, last few miles coming into Pagosa Springs I noticed the turbo running a little higher than normal and more difficulty maintaining speed up even minor grades. When I pulled into camp the right tag wheel was very hot. I'm calling a mechanic out Monday to check the brake actuator and bearing.

Jack and Dianna Hunt
Coach #663
2003 - 45' triple slide

Ok, alternator is working. That is good.

The voltage is a tenth or two low. You may have a bad or dry cell in your chassis batteries.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I haven't had any cells get low in the chassis batteries, but the #1 house battery had 2 low cells prior to starting this trip.

Jack and Dianna Hunt
Coach #663
2003 - 45' triple slide