You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Lost power #1 and #2 A/C units

A bit of background... A few days ago the front thermostat for my single SCS unit when poof. No big deal I thought, wire in a new one and I should be good. No dice. Once wired, the new thermostat did nothing. No fans, nothing. Oh boy. My first thought was that I had fried the board to the A/C. Upon inspection tho, I discovered I don't have any 120 power coming into the board. So, off to the breaker box. Nothing tripped, breakers checked out ok. I replaced the breaker for good measure since the original just felt worn. Still no power to the AC.

I happen to be replacing the capacitors and installing the heavy duty contractors on my double rear unit. I found that I also lost power to unit #2. Unit three still has 120v coming into the board.

My question is... is there a contactor or some fusible link I am missing between the electrical panel and the A/C unit?

David and MaryLynn Kammeraad
1996 Newell #427
2014 Buick Lacrosse

David,

Look for the HEAT / AC switch in the galley. I think the contactor is in a box near the big breaker panel. At least on my coach, the switch limits the ACs from running while the heating elements are on.

bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Well color me embarrassed. The switch was set back to heat. Somewhere in the midst of my project my wife flipped it to heat so she could do the dishes. My bad for not checking the switch again and for not telling her what I was up to. I guess communicating in a marriage really is important.

Thank you Bill for setting me straight.

1996 Newell #427
2014 Buick Lacrosse

We have ALL been there!

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Yes, we have. And it usually results in me having a minor panic attack about something amiss with the AC’s. I think it is a requirement of second degree membership in the Gurus.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Minor panic attack for sure. I was running around mumbling to myself chasing any wild idea I could think of, manuals were strewn all over the salon, tools may have even been treated with disregard. I just couldn't find a correlation with anything I had been doing. Then Bills reply came. I knew in an instant he was right. I simply flopped down in my chair and laughed at myself, relieved I didn't have another project to sort out. Thanks again!

1996 Newell #427
2014 Buick Lacrosse

I have not had this particular experience but I certainly can relate... I learned the hard way that my Newell will not shut off if it is not in neutral!!! Whodathunk??

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.