You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Executive Steps

Just noticed when I retract the steps, the cover does not completely close.  You can push it shut but that is hard when you are alone.  Will get under there when it stops raining.  Any suggestions on what to look for? You

Michael and Mona Corrigan
2008 Newell #1248
2010 Mini Cooper S

Mine did that once. With the stairs open look between / behind the stepS. There is a serpentine belt that was not supported. It was a simple matter on mine of reattaching a support piece. Your mileage may vary.

Bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

I have this issue too. Step cover has stopped closing leaving a gap of maybe 3" at the top. I can hear a solenoid clicking every few seconds on the control board. I'll take a look behind the step in the morning and see if I can see the serpentine belt Bill mentioned. It sounds a buzzer in the dash, fortunately I'm not moving far on Saturday as it might drive me insane.

Mick & Renee
2009 Newell 45’ 8” #1277, C15 625HP 12-speed ZF
Full time working and traveling. 

Hello Mick, 

Did you ever figure out what was causing your executive step not to close all the way on its own? Mine is a 2007 Coach #1202 and it has started to come just short of closing all the way (buzzer sounds). If I push it it will pull the slack out of the chain and close all the way and the buzzer will stop (but like you said... doing that from inside the coach is not possible). Is there an instruction manual available that shows how to adjust the tension in the chain drive or does it sound like the motor is getting weak and just not able to pull the door completely closed without assistance.  
Thanks for any insights you can share.

Paul

Paul and Angi
Addie and Scout (our GSP pups)
2007 Coach #1202
2020 Gladiator toad

After talking with Robert at Newell he helped me figure out my issue of the step not fully retracting (and making the “step out” alarm continuously beep).

There are two UHMW glide blocks on each side of the step that that cam over when the step is retracted. They wear after some time and need to be adjusted by a couple of millimeters and the step will fully retract. I will try to attach a few pictures to help visualize the glides and adjustment. 

Hope this helps. 

Paul

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Paul and Angi
Addie and Scout (our GSP pups)
2007 Coach #1202
2020 Gladiator toad

Executive STEP   "A Step Ahead"
The BRAUN CORPORATION
1-800-THE LIFT

Problem: Entry Steps Fail to Extend Normally

Resolution:  Replace Entry Step System faulty/worn 12v 10amp Circuit Breaker.

Background:
The mid entry, entry steps on my 2005 Newell Coach gave me trouble this week. When I opened the door, the lower step which doubles as the exterior body panel when retracted vertically, would fold out/down horizontal and the steps "started" to extend but stopped after moving an inch or two. 

I could hear something clicking.... I cycled the door and the bottom step would retract vertically and stow normally. I continued to try another cycle but it was a repeat performance. 

On the NewellGurus.com site, I did a quick search and found a post I made a while ago with similar symptoms. On that day, I had been working on the coach and turned the chassis batteries off... the steps didn't have a good ground because the chassis battery disconnect is connected to the negative cables from the batteries. 
That problem was resolved by reconnecting the chassis batteries. 

My new problem was not a grounding problem because the chassis batteries were connected to the frame. To be sure I cycled the the chassis battery disconnect, hit the door button, and the steps operated normally.... once... Back to square one and so I emailed the Newell factory for assistance. 

Robert to the rescue... he listened and stated... "the 10 amp circuit breaker is old and weak".... he went on to describe where this little 12v "red" CB lives and the process to replace it. 

WARNING - DO NOT SKIP STEP #1 IN THIS REPAIR !!!! The steps are like a guillotine if they come alive! Do not work on the steps if the power is not disconnected. 
On MY bus, with the steps extended manually, I had to reach in-between the coach body and the top step and work from underneath the top step. 

1) DISCONNECT POWER TO THE ENTRY STEP SYSTEM 

2) Locate the 12 volt electrical power distribution system located behind a carpeted panel in front of the front passenger seat. Use caution when working in this area as there is a multitude of exposed terminals that are powered by the 12 volt electrical system. If you are not comfortable working in this area have a qualified technician complete the repair or turn off all electrical power to the coach.

3) Locate the step system main power wire that runs from the auto reset circuit breaker to the step control box. Using a 3/8" deep socket remove the nut that holds the power wire to the terminal. Carefully remove the wire and ensure the bare end of the connector CAN NOT touch another terminal. Wrap in electrical tape if possible.

4) Manually Release the Steps using the manual release cable. Mine was located in the entry of the right forward bay. Turn the handle counter clockwise 180*.  You can now pull out the steps manually to gain access to the electrical components. 

5) The electrical components are behind a rectangular black cover held in place by two small Phillips screws. You'll likely need a long Phillips screwdriver to reach the screws.

6) The Circuit Break in question is a small red rectangular metal device plugged into a black plastic block. Remove old CB by gently rocking side to side and pulling upward.

7) The original CB is a COLE T1 12 volt 10 amp 310 model. I sourced a new CB from NAPA part #782-3120 (commonly know as a ignition CB in the auto industry).
The new CB will have extra long terminals that can be trimmed as necessary to fit the application. I trimmed approximately 1/8" off of each terminal.

8) Reinstall the CB, I placed a bit of "Dialectric Grease" on the terminals before installation to combat corrosion. 

9) Before I put everything back together and tested the step, I conducted a general inspection of the other components associated with the system that live behind the steps. Behind the little black cover are several wires and two full size blade fuses, 5 amp and 30 amp. There are also four relays (VF4-15F11 12VDC 40/30A0). 

10) Replace the black cover, reconnect the main power supply in the interior power distribution area. 

11) Reconnect the step mechanism by rotating the handle clockwise 180*. 

12) Step Out!

Another less known item in the entry step system is a 5 amp blade fuse that also resides in the 12 volt distribution panel. 

If this fuse blows the step will not retract automatically when the engine is running and the door closes. How do I know? I found out when the step hit a plastic garbage can on the side of a very narrow road. No damage but it got my attention. Newell told me to check the ELEC STEP O.R. fuse, yes it was blown. Mystery solved. Of course, now I watch the steps move in when I close the door and check that they are retracted in my mirror.

I hope this post helps if your steps don't operate normally. We own complicated machines with systems that are reliable until they are not. We are fortunate to have Newell Service literally at our service. We are fortunate to have NewellGurus.com and all of the contributors to help us solve our issues no matter how insignificant or major. I feel it is important to pass along knowledge and experiences so others can benefit. This is my latest contribution to the cause but all the credit goes to Robert at Newell Service Center. 

Be safe!
JK

Kristi & Jeff King
Bentonville, Arkansas
#744 2005 45’ Newell Coach 
ZF Suspension/Active Steering Tag Axle
CAT-13 ACERT KCB Engine 525HP 1642 ftlbs Torque Cat Compound Turbocharger 43.5 psi
Allison HD4000MH Transmission with PTO drive.

Thank you, there is not a lot of information on those steps and your post will be a great help.

Jim
2014 Newell Coach 1482 Mid Entry 45'8" Valid Slides and Valid Levelling

(02-16-2023, 05:31 PM)hypoxia Wrote:  Thank you, there is not a lot of information on those steps and your post will be a great help.

Those are the three experiences I have with the steps. It’s a system that will give it up at the most inconvenient time. 
JK

Kristi & Jeff King
Bentonville, Arkansas
#744 2005 45’ Newell Coach 
ZF Suspension/Active Steering Tag Axle
CAT-13 ACERT KCB Engine 525HP 1642 ftlbs Torque Cat Compound Turbocharger 43.5 psi
Allison HD4000MH Transmission with PTO drive.