You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Dometic propane fridge repair

As an after thought; the new Dometic doors are slightly bigger than the old one that was in the coach when we bought it. Dometic included a strip kit that would accommodate use of the older door panels rather than having to buy new ones. Be sure to check this out if you buy a new one.

Well, I completed the install of the new replacement cooling unit. I opted for the new unit rather than a refurbished one. I did the testing today and it seems to work fine, both with ac and gas. I powered it up, came back in an hour and it was cooling. I need to solve a leveling issue with the coach before I turn it on full time.

For those who want to do this: In my coach, the fridge is only held in place with two screws up top and two below inside the coach. I had a wheeled platform and the fridge slid onto the platform. I rolled it into the living room, then put the fridge face down. The video from the website is a good one and it shows each step of the process, first taking off the door handles, etc. I took plenty of notes and pics to recall later. There is only one issue the video didn't cover, so if you do this, be aware: once you drop the new cooling unit in the back of the fridge, you may want to stand it up to align screw holes in the freezer section. Then, put it back on the floor and attach it to the rear of the unit with screws. Other than that, it was easy enough. I'm hoping I get many years out of it. I really didn't want to get rid of my gas fridge.

David

David and Teresa Brown
1999 Coach 513

Hello all my 8cu ft dometic ammonia failure and the high cost of total replacement or just repair for the existing unit led me to look at a residential unit.
I found a 9.7 cu ft hotpoint made by GE model number hps10lgvbrbb in black at Loews for $399.00. It also comes in white and stainless.
This model was an exact fit so no modification was necessary to the cabinetry. I sealed the outside panel vent slots as not to loose any cooling and heating. Just wanted to pass this along as a successful conversion to the 21st century in my 43 year old classic coach. I can also use it on inverter when driving as not to have to use the generator. Since I try not to boondock when I don’t have to, it should be fine without the propane option since I have an inverter.
Happy trails!!!

Here’s a link for the model.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hps10lgv...ent=safari

Mike and Beth Magee 
80 Newell Classic 37’ Cat 3208T
05 Ascender 4x4 toad
(Lol no pun intended)