You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Lost power steering

Richard,

Thank you and I will try that today.

I was driving along a 45 mph, 2-lane highway and slowed down to make a left turn. There was no oncoming traffic so I did not have to come to a complete stop. I went to turn the wheel left and it would not move at all. I then increased my speed along the same path I was traveling. Once the rpms increased, I was able to steer enough to keep it on the road, until I found a spot to gently ease off to. I was stuck and unable to move the wheel enough to get the coach turned around. Ron arrived and could not get it turned either. After about 45 minutes of the coach engine off, we tried again. Although difficult to steer, we were then able to get it turned around and back to my property that was about a mile away.

I'll let you know what happens with the fan. Thanks again.

Frank Johnson-2004 #689

Ok, will wait on fan results.

When I try to turn my wheels with the coach stationary, the power steering will not overcome the resistance to turning. That was a surprise to me many years ago. When I crank the wheel and the coach is stationary, the steering wheel will pulsate as the internal poppet release pressure. The box will also make a rushing water sound. If the steering wheel is pulsating when you crank on it, you probably have good hydraulic pressure. If it is not pulsing or you don’t hear rushing water noise in the steering box, then I would suspect hyd pump.

Even if the fan turns, it is no definitive on good pressure from the pump. It doesn’t take much to turn the fan motor.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

What was the fix for Ron’s power steering????

Georgeb
Coach 385
Toad Mini Cooper