You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

New to RV'ing

We are Jenn and Gary...and will be purchasing a Class A within the next 18-20 months. We're here to learn as we research the brand of coach we'll be purchasing. We have a home in Kansas (Wichita area) and another in Texas (Waxahachie). When we retire full time in the next 24 months, Texas will likely become home base 6 months of the year while we travel the U.S. the balance. So although we won't be considered full time, we'll still be away from home a significant amount of time. 

We have narrowed the brand down to Newell and Prevost. If a Newell, it will be in the 2006-2009 range, while in Prevost it appears our price range falls in the 2002-2006 range depending on a few variables. First glance on the comparisons it appears to the rookies we are that we can get comparable quality for a lower price in the Newell, while the Prevost may include some amenities that we haven't noticed in the Newell. For example, our "must-have" list includes an outdoor grill and entertainment system. I see those fairly regularly in the Prevost coaches, while I've yet to find a Newell with that added feature. My assumption is that it can be added, but we will lose some bay space. 

So...feel free to reach out and introduce yourselves. We'll have lots of questions for you and hopefully, we can learn from the experts before we step out on this upcoming venture and make it as enjoyable for us as possible. 

Jenn and Gary

Welcome! As you probably know all coaches like a Newell can have almost anything you want to pay for when being built. Only your desire and pocketbook restrict this. My ‘08 has a grill in the outside bay with a tv but no entertainment system per say. You an have anything installed after purchase but this would hinder buying something you like. I have looked at a lot of Newell’s and have ever encountered an entertainment center like a Prevost but that is not to say they don’t exist. Good luck in your search.

Michael and Mona Corrigan
2008 Newell #1248
2010 Mini Cooper S

Welcome to the forum, and good luck on your search. I strongly suggest you look at the entire section on “what to consider when buying a used Newell”. There is enough reading in there to keep you out of trouble for a night or two.

Tell us more about yourself, particularly your mechanical and electrical experience. Also what you expect in a motorhome, and how you plan to use it will help others to frame their responses to questions.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

welcome to the forum. enjoy the search.

my buddy steve at arizonaluxurycoach.com has a 2005 prevost with entertainment center. i have been in it and it is nice.

in those years you will be likely a 2 slide prevost and a 4 slide newell.

no bbq, but i really dont like built in ones. my first newell had a built in bbq and i took it out. i have a large pullout tv in my newell and have only used it a couple of times. we all like different things and that makes it fun.

tom

https://www.arizonaluxurycoach.com/shop/...ale-XLII2S

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Something to consider regarding bus conversions is whether the conversion company is still in business. Quite a few have closed their doors leaving many “orphans” out there. That is only important if obtaining support from the original builder is important to you. It has been helpful to me to be able to call Newell and talk to the guy who actually remembers working on my coach.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Hi...we went through this process over the last several years. I suggest getting out and seeing a LOT of coaches to discover what appeals to you and to learn the pros/cons of the two makes, their floor plans, and Prevost H vs. XLII. As I see it, many of the Prevost entertainment units of that vintage will be technologically obsolete, so I'm not sure how much of an advantage it is to start with something needing a redo, anyway.

There are really nice people here...enjoy the process.

Robert
2002 Prevost Liberty XLII, Series 60
IG: @thisisbobalou

Thanks to all of you who responded, all with great advice! We still have 20 months until official retirement for me. Jenn will still be working but can manage the business from the coach if we have good internet access. Over the next 20 months I oughtta be able to learn a alot and walk through a lot of coaches. Again...thanks for such a warm welcome!

G

Welcome to the Forum

The plus I will give for the Newell
04' (roughly) and newer stearable tag axle. turns like a 37'
More power generally but poorer mileage. 625 Cat for me, I'm getting high 5 to low 6 mpg
mid entry Vs front entry. Really think this over. I have had both and now wish I had a mid entry.
More common to find a bath and 1/2 in Newell
telephone support 24/7. we have all used it and IT'S so great to have available.
Higher head room and less (lower) height basement storage in Newell.

either way, you can't really go wrong, They are both great coaches.

But must have's
365 tires on the front of any coach of this size
Get an expert to look over the coach for an honest 3rd party opinion.

If you have time, visit a group of us at a "No Rally, Rally" or a small gathering in Spearfish SD next summer, search the forum for more details. Many of us would give you a tour and fill you with pros and cons. Visit the Newell Factory in Miami OK. great tour.

We are "friends helping friends"

Good luck and keep us posted on your search

Dave, Karen, w/Buddy and Moose. 
06' Newell #784
towing a 05' Featherlight enclosed trailer for toys and tools, 
or a 21' F350 Big Grin w KTM 300, and MTB in the back
35' Packard 4 dr convertible
59' Nash Metropolitan
+ 4 more cars and 8 motorcycles

Carpe Diem. Have Fun
Tomorrow is not guaranteed.