You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

2006 w/Cat600 - Comments?

I found a 2006 on a New Jersey RV lot specializing in trailers and 5th wheels. It's what I've been looking for, a mid-entry but wish the galley was on the street side. Would appreciate any comments about stuff that's endemic to the '06 Newell. Leaking windows, something bad about the Cat or the ZIF tranny? Mileage is about 98k.
This would be my first Newell, but third coach. My '01 Monaco Exec is a honey but The Management wants four slides and we both like the many Newells we've looked at.
Any thoughts would be welcome.
Regarding air leaks, what would be the minimum aux compressor cycle time that you would expect before worrying about major leakage?
I'd be grateful for any advice, thoughts or otherwise.
Thanks gang,
Tom Gauger
 [email protected]

Tom Gauger-Dave Snyder
'01 Monaco Exec 515 Cummins ISM
'17 Chevy Colorado Toad
Shermans Dale, PA

Tom,
I have a 2009 with the Cat-ZF tranny combo.
Cat had some issues with their Acert engines starting in 2007. But the earlier emgines were bulletproof.
The ZF tranny is a “little different” but very dependable.
Once you drive the ZF you will understand.
It’s a great tranny out on the open road, but a little rough in the lower gears.
Like I said it’s not an Allison, but just different.
Love mine on the open road, it runs circles around most everything.
Hope that helps
Dennis

Coach 1267, 2009 front entry

Ditto Margie909.

I too have the ZF and the C15 in an 06' (coach 748). I've put about 40k on the coach in the last 2 years. I'm at about 103K right now. The Trans is not silky smooth as your Allison is. This is not a bad thing. Its just different. It feels like someone else is shifting, as a semi truck would, as you accelerate. It starts in 3rd and depending on how hard you try to accelerate it skips to 5 then 7 and generally goes sequential after that. It is a Standard transmission for all intents and purpose. It won't get hot as a Torque converter Trans, because it has a electric clutch with straight cut gears.

Note; On a uphill, off ramp stop, pulling a trailer, and after you have stopped, when you take your foot off the brake and touch the throttle, do not hesitate. It will release the brake and roll backwards if your not deliberate about starting out.

I've only used 1st gear when the highway has a traffic jam and we are crawling up hill ( a regular thing on CA highways). it will shift up at walking speed

I pull 6% grades regularly, at about 63K GCW, (Coach plus F150) at about 50 to 52 mph in 11th or maybe 10th gear. 5 % at 55 to 57mph.

My opinion, the air compressor should not be coming on sooner that 40 minutes per cycle, with no activity inside.

I know that Newell did a recall on the rivets on the side. They perform that in about and hour when you stop in there. I'm sure Newell Service can tell you what service has or has not been done. You will need the Coach number for that call.

Good luck and send pictures of the coach if you can.

Dave, Karen, w/Buddy and Moose. 
06' Newell #784
towing a 05' Featherlight enclosed trailer for toys and tools, 
or a 21' F350 Big Grin w KTM 300, and MTB in the back
35' Packard 4 dr convertible
59' Nash Metropolitan
+ 4 more cars and 8 motorcycles

Carpe Diem. Have Fun
Tomorrow is not guaranteed.

Had the pre Acert C15 in my 2007 Newell.  Great engine!  I had the Allison transmission which was smooth BUT did not have near the torque the ZF has.  Going up a steep grade you would pull on ahead of someone with the Allison.  Just take to heart what others with the ZF have said on its nuances.

At Newell they shoot for 30 minutes between cycle time.  You can do much better if you spend time looking for all the air leaks and fixing them.  Richard (from the YouTube clip) is an expert at this.  I was only a novice and got mine to only cycle about every 90 minutes when just sitting and not using the air doors.

Loved our Newell but did not fit the type of camping we like to do - too big (weight, length, and height).  Now have a 2004 38' tag two slide Foretravel and fits our type of camping perfectly.  Air only cycles once a day but does have all the air doors.

Good luck,
Oscar

Oscar & Janet Valent
Full timing
2004 Foretravel U320 3820 PBBS
2007 Newell Coach #815 - Great Coach Sold
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit

Agree with everything said and would add the Cat is a thirsty beast. My lifetime mileage is 5.5 MPG.

Michael and Mona Corrigan
2008 Newell #1248
2010 Mini Cooper S

Thanks to everyone! The information is most helpful...I'd heard about the riveting problem, glad to hear it's not as overwhelming as on some Prevost XL's. The ZF tranny is not something I want but I've never heard a bad word other than you will feel the shifts. Does the Jake work well with it?
Going to see it this week if the sales manager returns phone calls.

Tom Gauger-Dave Snyder
'17 Chevy Colorado Toad
Shermans Dale, PA

A few pictures taken by the dealer are in the gallery.

Tom Gauger-Dave Snyder
'17 Chevy Colorado Toad
Shermans Dale, PA

Tom, The Jake works great. It will hold me back to an equal speed that I could go up the hill. Example 6% down hill holds me at 50-52 in 10th, 5% down hill in 11th at 55 to 57, never using the service brakes. There are more gears (12) to keep the Engine in the sweet range. Once accustomed to it, you'd never go back.

Ditto on the Mileage comment. I run the California / Nevada Sierra Mtns climbing from sea level to 7,200 and back with several smaller peaks in the middle, in other words, all hills, and I'm getting 5.3 mpg at 63 - 65 mph avg. Out of a 500 mile run, about 100 miles is flat and at sea level.

Dave, Karen, w/Buddy and Moose. 
06' Newell #784
towing a 05' Featherlight enclosed trailer for toys and tools, 
or a 21' F350 Big Grin w KTM 300, and MTB in the back
35' Packard 4 dr convertible
59' Nash Metropolitan
+ 4 more cars and 8 motorcycles

Carpe Diem. Have Fun
Tomorrow is not guaranteed.

The ZF will start downshifting when going downhill which makes using the Jake Brake not as often.

Michael and Mona Corrigan
2008 Newell #1248
2010 Mini Cooper S

Tom, that appears to be #765. It had 85,000 miles in 2013, 95k miles in 2017, 96K miles in 2019 and is listed as 98,000 miles now.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com