You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Ipad ddec system

I had fun today setting up my new VMSpc digital dash. I will use an Asus tablet that is 12" wide and 8" tall and sits nicely in my dash next to the gauges. The Asus doubles as a portable laptop. I am researching to find out if there is a GPS that connects to a laptop and can be used like the Microsoft Streets & Trips with GPS, but better. Attached is a photo.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

chester, that should work really well.

there are plenty of usb based gps units. do you have a full sized usb port on the tablet?

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Tom, yes I have two USB ports and if necessary, I can attach a small quad-port. My research thus far indicates that almost all GPS units can connect to a computer, but the function is to upgrade the GPS software or store trip data. I have yet to discover one that will duplicate its screen on the computer. Since Microsoft Streets & Trips with GPS is basically a computer program, it is easy to show the screen on the computer, but the program has a poor reputation. I would like something that is specific to trucks and motorhomes where the screen can be duplicated on my dash tablet. Otherwise, I will run Streets & Trips on the dash tablet and Rand McNally on the overhead, away from any light.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

a few years ago i used the garmin pc program. but i think they stopped selling it.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I used Street Atlas for years. Then I switched to Streets and Trips due to read availability of the newest version when I needed it. They both have pros and cons. I do like that Streets and Trips knows rest stops and if you zoom in, it shows you are parked in the rest stop while Street Atlas moves you over to the service road behind the 'non-existent rest stop" and recalculates which is VERY annoying.

For truck specific PC based mapping there is PC*Miler but it is EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE for non-business use. You could buy lots of GPS routing units for the cost of PC*Miler PC. The last time I checked, the purchase price for the basic version was over $1,500 and the internet version was $20-$70/month.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

What about Co-Pilot Live for $100, not sure if this lets you set height restrictions, etc.
Co-Pilot Live Truck for $150 does let you set heights, etc.
They also have Ipad and android versions.
I don't use it but thought it is interesting.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Looks like Co-Pilot Truck for PC is about $150 but is apparently picky about the gps unit that it will accept so that will set you back another $30-120 depending on your operating system and if you want to mount the gps outside or inside. Reviews aren't too bad for Co-Pilot Truck. Looks like a decent alternative. Thanks Forest.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com