You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Ipad ddec system

I just got off of the phone with Ray Davis, RV Tech. Tools, and I am encouraged by his description of using his software on an iPad, which can sit on the dash covering up the analog gauges. He was not aware that most of us have Detroits. He asked me to see if I could determine in my Detroit connection is a 6 pin and to let him know. Tomorrow I will see if I can find it. He suggested I borrow an iPad and download his free software which includes a demonstration video. He is traveling, but if he can he intends to post on this forum as soon as possible. Sounds exciting.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

[attachment=840][attachment=841]    
(03-01-2013, 05:04 PM)Chester Stone Wrote:  I just got off of the phone with Ray Davis, RV Tech. Tools, and I am encouraged by his description of using his software on an iPad, which can sit on the dash covering up the analog gauges. He was not aware that most of us have Detroits. He asked me to see if I could determine in my Detroit connection is a 6 pin and to let him know. Tomorrow I will see if I can find it. He suggested I borrow an iPad and download his free software which includes a demonstration video. He is traveling, but if he can he intends to post on this forum as soon as possible. Sounds exciting.

When You said "covering up....gauges" reminded me of what I did. I didn't like using the centor console for the laptop, so this was my solution. I put the laptop in the glove compartment & can control it from the 7" touch screen.

Gordon
1991 41.5' #266
8V92 DDEC II

Hello All,

My name is Ray Davis. I received an invite on another forum from Tom to discuss my RV Dash here in your Newell forum. I had spoken earlier today on phone to Chester Stone and Bill Johnson.

The RV Dash was a personal project, done in my off-hours. I own a Prevost, and originally wanted an easy way to read error codes from the DDEC. Being a registered Apple developer, I wanted to do something with an iPad, and so I started back in Sep 2011 looking for hardware that would allow me to talk to my DDEC with an iPad.

I soon learned that the generation of Prevost's owned by members of clubs I frequent (POG, PC), the DDEC speaks J1587, not J1939 which is the newer protocol. So, I had to find wifi device that could talk J1587. I found the CANpod from Cubic Labs, and began developing my product. I located two other vendors. One was more expensive, while the other vendor would not return email or phone calls.

The RV Dash is the first of two applications. It connects via wifi to the CANpod device, initializes it, and starts data streaming. It then decodes in the data from the device, and operates about 25 gauges, set on two pages of the app. Currently the application ONLY speaks J1587. I have only tested on Prevost buses running either an 8v92 or S60 engine. I have had beta testers out for just over a year, running in a number of different buses, running from a 1990's 8v to a 2010 S60 based bus.

The second app is a universal app, will run on both iPad and iPhone, and is a DDEC error decoder reader/clearer. It was recently approved by Apple and is also available via the App Store.

I have been very tentative about selling this outside of the Prevost market, because I haven't done any testing with other vehicles. I will say in general the newer, the more data is streaming down the CAN bus, and the more gauges are active. Older units there is less data, so some of the gauges do not work.

The app does allow the user to layout the size and placement of the gauges in any way they desire. It also has two different gauge "modes", one is standard rotational gauges like in a vehicle, and another mode is what I call slider mode, which has horizontal gauges, and the indicator moves horizontally over the gauge. Both style of gauges also include a digital value.

I am selling the CANpod hardware, with the two apps for $750. I have made a deal with my buddies on forums I frequent that I will discount that $100, and I will offer the same deal to this forum. So, both apps, and CANpod hardware for $650. I wish I could sell for less, however the cost of the interfaces dominates the price of the bundle.

I would highly suggest that we try some testing with Newell coaches, as I have not tested with a Newell at this point. I understand in talking to Chester and Bill that there are both DD and CAT engines. I am hopeful that the DD engines will just plug and go. The CAT will require investigation, and possible app updates?

Ray
PS: A couple of things I forgot to mention:

The app is available for a free download on the app store.
https://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSt...46745&mt=8

It has a demo mode available. I invite you to download, and try it out, and see if this is something that does interest you. To get to demo mode, simply start the app. Wait about 5 seconds, and when the CANpod is not located it will put up a trouble-shooting dialog. On the dialog is a demo button.

Tap demo, and the app will stream data out of an internal file that I captured in my bus while driving to a service facility. The data will run for about 3 minutes. During that time you can try out any of the functionality, including gauge layout etc.

Also, I am located in Southern CA (Lake Forest). Anyone in the area I would be happy to get together and test in your vehicle to see how it works.

I am happy to answer any questions you might have.

Ray

PS: The iPad can be placed anywhere convenient. I had related a story to Chester about one of my beta testers who had a non-functional computer based dash in his Prevost. He was able to simply place his iPad in the same hole as the regular dash, and drive off. Most people use an external mount like the RAM mounts. Others have indicated that they give the iPad to their copilot for monitoring. It is not intended to replace an existing dash, but to augment it.

Ray

I have attached a photo of my Detroit Diagnostic Connector next to the ignition key. Obviously, this is not a round 6 or 9 pin connector. Is there another round 6 pin connector located somewhere else, and if so, please give me an idea of where to look.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey

our coaches of this vintage all have the rectangular plug. no round plug. not sure what year they started using the round plug but my 90 and 2002 both have the rectangular plug.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Ok that may be the older connector. Can you tell me, is it two rows by six pins each row? Can you determine which pins are wired? I don't have my paperwork on this with me, but I remember something like A ground, H power, J and K are data wires. Anyone know if this matches your connectors?

Ray, Michael Day here. You are correct on the connector, 2 rows of 6 pins each. A is ground, H is power, J and K are data. Found that out from hardwiring in my VMSpc. As I recall there are also wires going to D, G and M but I didn't use them.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Ray, will you be able to make a connection with the rectangular connector, and if so, what is the size of the iPad for the dash?

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey

Michael Wrote:Ray, Michael Day here. You are correct on the connector, 2 rows of 6 pins each. A is ground, H is power, J and K are data

Michael, thanks for the confirmation. That should work fine, assuming the standard J1587 protocol. It is looking promising.

(03-03-2013, 08:36 AM)Chester Stone Wrote:  Ray, will you be able to make a connection with the rectangular connector, and if so, what is the size of the iPad for the dash?

Chester, just so we are all on the same page, I do not provide the iPad. There are two sizes of iPad, the regular and the new mini. You can get the specs from the Apple store, but the regular is 9.5 x 7.31 while the mini is 7.87 x 5.3 inches.

You would purchase the iPad of your choice. I will provide the 2 applications, the CANpod and cable. Note that the error decode app also runs on an iPhone.

These cables are non-standard (at least for me, the Prevosts use the round connectors). I have just received parts to build the cables, but I need to purchase a special crimping tool.

Ray