You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

1967 Newell Coach 25' 9A25-S-8008

I bought this early example of a Newell Coach because why wouldn't I? You just don't see lines and curves like this anymore. 

It is a project and there are some pics in my gallery for those who are intrigued as I was... The old 330 Industrial is running like a Swiss watch. Upgrade to diesel maybe? I really don't want a resto mod however. My guts are telling me to leave it alone and pretty up the exterior to factory glory and enjoy it as is...thoughts?

Richard 
1967 25' #S-8008
&
1974 35' #
Turbo 1160

My thoughts: Keep the engine and running gear running like the Swiss Watch. Change it out if needed or an opportunity comes along you just can't pass up. I'd stick with the same fuel but upgrade engine and tranny if opportunity or need arises.
On the inside I'd update to a residential fridge if possible. Keep the old paneling which brings back that era. Maybe though, updating to the newest and best as you can would be a great surprise. Imagine the outside restored to look like it did when it rolled out of the manufacturing line and when you walk through the door you see Newell 50 years newer!

Hank & Natalie Bensley
2001 Double Slide #586. 
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk Toad
We've been RV owners since 2002.
Port Orange, FL. Soon we will travel full time for "a while" Smile

If it were mine... i would do exactly as you said: fix up the exterior and enjoy the heck out of it as it is. That thing is awesome!

David and MaryLynn Kammeraad
1996 Newell #427
2014 Buick Lacrosse

I've had those same thoughts. Someone did replace the fridge with a Dometic 7 or 9 cu.ft. (Swiss made) unit which works of course.

Updating the interior is on the list of things to do..without destroying the original feel of the coach. We're not really a fan of manufactured type luan with fake veneers. It would look so much richer with real wood veeneers and a mix of solid cabinet/drawer faces, dunno. It's in the design and thought phase right now. Thank you for the reply and sharing thoughts.

Richard 
1967 25' #S-8008
&
1974 35' #
Turbo 1160

House Divided:  There is something of a purist in me which says don't screw with it. It's old and should be preserved as such. I've got all systems working except for the old generator which will get tackled soon enough.

Richard 
1967 25' #S-8008
&
1974 35' #
Turbo 1160

I am a purist at heart also. 

But it certainly would also be cool to leave the exterior original with an updated interior as previously stated.

Tough call, but oh the possibilities! Either way, that's a cool machine.

David and MaryLynn Kammeraad
1996 Newell #427
2014 Buick Lacrosse

Does anyone know what the original finish on these were? Anodized? Raw finish with clear??

Any help would be great.

Richard 
1967 25' #S-8008
&
1974 35' #
Turbo 1160

If you want to improve your coach without worrrying about losing the retro look, replace all you incadescent and florescent lights with LEDs. Much less current draw, longer life. One suggestion I would make is getting a bluetooth radio that does both hands free calls and streaming bluetooth. If you're not concerend with keeping the retro look, you're looking at $100 or less, if you want to keep the retro look, https://www.classiccarstereos.com/classi...-make.html but they'll cost more.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

Thank you Mr. E. I haven't even thought about connectivity till you mentioned it.

Richard 
1967 25' #S-8008
&
1974 35' #
Turbo 1160